Suede jackets are a luxurious and popular item of clothing, but they can be difficult to keep clean. If you have a suede jacket that smells bad, don’t despair. There are a few simple things you can do to remove the odor.
There are a few different ways to remove odor from a suede jacket. One option is to use a suede brush to brush the jacket thoroughly. This will help to remove any surface-level odors and also lift any dirt or debris that may be contributing to the odor. Another option is to sprinkle baking soda on the jacket and let it sit for a few hours before brushing it off. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and can help to neutralize any unpleasant smells.
You can also try using a commercial suede cleaner, which is specially formulated to remove odors from suede. Simply follow the instructions on the product to use it effectively. It’s also important to make sure that your jacket is well-ventilated, as this can help to prevent the buildup of odors in the first place.
What Causes Suede Jackets to Smell?
There are a few different things that can cause a suede jacket to smell. One common cause is exposure to sweat or other bodily fluids, which can leave a lingering odor on the jacket. Another potential cause is exposure to cigarette smoke or other strong odors, which can also leave a lingering smell on the jacket. In some cases, a musty or moldy smell can develop if the jacket has been stored in a damp or humid environment. Finally, the presence of dirt or debris on the jacket can also contribute to unpleasant odors, especially if the jacket hasn’t been cleaned in a while.
How to Remove Odor from a Suede Jacket
Here are a few steps you can follow to remove odor from a suede jacket:
- Brush the jacket thoroughly using a suede brush. This will help to lift any surface-level dirt or debris that may be contributing to the odor.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the jacket and let it sit for a few hours. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and can help to neutralize any unpleasant smells.
- Use a commercial suede cleaner to remove any remaining odors. Follow the instructions on the product to use it effectively.
- Make sure that your jacket is well-ventilated. This can help to prevent the buildup of odors in the first place.
- If the odor persists, you may need to take the jacket to a professional cleaner who has experience working with suede. They will be able to provide more specialized cleaning methods to remove the odor.
Tips for Preventing Suede Jacket Odor
Here are a few tips for preventing odor in your suede jacket:
- Avoid wearing the jacket in situations where it is likely to come into contact with sweat or other bodily fluids.
- Avoid exposing the jacket to cigarette smoke or other strong odors.
- Store the jacket in a dry, well-ventilated area to prevent the development of mold or musty odors.
- Clean the jacket regularly using a suede brush and a commercial suede cleaner. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that can contribute to unpleasant odors.
- If you notice any unpleasant odors starting to develop, take action immediately to remove them. The longer an odor is allowed to linger, the harder it will be to remove.
In conclusion, removing odor from a suede jacket may require a combination of brushing, baking soda, commercial suede cleaner, and ventilation. Preventing odor in the first place can be achieved by avoiding exposing the jacket to sweat or strong odors, storing it properly, and cleaning it regularly. If the odor persists, it may be necessary to take the jacket to a professional cleaner.