Shaving is an unpleasant but unavoidable part of almost every man’s life unless, of course, he prefers to emulate a member of ZZ Top. White guys can’t escape the razor, they can add some spice to their daily routine by using an aftershave. Almost every cologne company in existence sells its own unique aftershave blend, but you can surprise the man in your life by making him a distinctively fragranced product for a fraction of the price from the comfort of your kitchen. He is sure to love your creative gift, both for its scent and skin-pampering power.
What Aftershave Does
Millions of men use aftershave religiously, but those who don’t seem to have good excuses for why. After all, its alcohol content can cause stinging, especially if the poor guy happens to nick himself while shaving. Others seem to think it is a needless expense since they can just wear cologne if they want to smell good all day.
- What Aftershave Does
- What You Will Need
- How to Make Your Own Aftershave
- Benefits of Making Your Own Aftershave
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What are the benefits of making your own aftershave?
- Q: What ingredients do I need to make my own aftershave?
- Q: How do I make my own aftershave?
- Q: Can I adjust the ratio of witch hazel and aloe vera gel in the recipe?
- Q: How long does homemade aftershave last?
- Q: Are there any precautions I should take when making my own aftershave?
If your husband or significant other falls into the skeptical group, give him these points to consider. When a man shaves, he generally uses warm water to soften his facial hair beforehand. This heat causes the pores to open. If left this way, they are prone to the intrusion of dirt and oil, which can cause breakouts. Also, any cuts that occur during shaving can become infected unless they are sterilized.
When aftershave is applied, it causes the pores to shrink back to normal size. Not only is this important for healthy skin, but it also looks better because the pores are less visible. When the right ingredients are added to an aftershave, it can clean and seal cuts, soothe the beard area, and replenish moisture that heat and shaving remove. In short, using aftershave is the final step of good male grooming. If, after all these arguments, your guy still has his doubts, you can win him over with the subtle masculine fragrance of your creation.
What You Will Need
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients and tools you will need to make your own aftershave.
- Witch hazel
- Aloe vera gel
- Essential oils (optional)
- Measuring cup
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Spray bottle
How to Make Your Own Aftershave
- Start by measuring out ½ cup of witch hazel and pouring it into a mixing bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of aloe vera gel to the mixing bowl and whisk the two ingredients together until they are well combined.
- If you want to add essential oils to your aftershave, this is the time to do it. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil and whisk again until the mixture is well blended.
- Once your mixture is ready, use a funnel to pour it into a spray bottle. You can also use a dropper to transfer the mixture into the bottle.
- Shake the bottle well before each use, and spray a small amount of the aftershave onto your face after shaving.
Benefits of Making Your Own Aftershave
Making your own aftershave has several benefits:
Store-bought aftershave can be expensive, and you may have to buy a new bottle every few weeks. By making your own aftershave, you can save money in the long run.
Commercial aftershave products often contain synthetic ingredients that can irritate your skin. By making your own aftershave, you can use natural ingredients that are gentle and safe for your skin.
You can customize your aftershave to suit your preferences by adding different essential oils. You can also adjust the ratio of witch hazel and aloe vera gel to create an aftershave that is more suited to your skin type.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the benefits of making your own aftershave?
A: There are several benefits to making your own aftershave, including:
- Cost-effectiveness: Making your own aftershave can be a more cost-effective option than buying store-bought products.
- Customization: By making your own aftershave, you can customize the ingredients and scents to suit your preferences.
- Natural ingredients: Homemade aftershave can be made with natural ingredients that are less likely to irritate the skin.
Q: What ingredients do I need to make my own aftershave?
A: To make your own aftershave, you will need witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and optional essential oils for scent.
Q: How do I make my own aftershave?
A: To make your own aftershave, follow these steps:
- Mix 1/2 cup of witch hazel with 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel in a mixing bowl.
- Add a few drops of essential oils (if desired) and whisk the mixture together.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle using a funnel.
- Shake the bottle well before use and spray a small amount onto your face after shaving.
Q: Can I adjust the ratio of witch hazel and aloe vera gel in the recipe?
A: Yes, you can adjust the ratio of witch hazel and aloe vera gel in the recipe to suit your skin type. Experiment with different ratios to find what works best for you.
Q: How long does homemade aftershave last?
A: Homemade aftershave can last for several weeks if stored properly in a cool, dry place. Shake the bottle well before each use to ensure that the ingredients are well mixed.
Q: Are there any precautions I should take when making my own aftershave?
A: It’s always a good idea to do a patch test on a small area of skin before using any new product. If you experience any irritation or allergic reaction, discontinue use immediately. Additionally, make sure to use clean utensils and a clean, sterile spray bottle to avoid contamination.
Making your own aftershave is a simple and cost-effective way to take care of your skin after shaving. By following the steps in this guide, you can create a natural and effective aftershave that is tailored to your skin type. We hope this guide has been helpful, and we wish you happy shaving!