Are you looking for a fun and safe activity for your children to enjoy? Look no further than making your own edible playdough! With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a treat that not only stimulates your child’s imagination but also satisfies their sweet tooth.
It is safe to eat, although not very nutritious, and it can provide hours of creative and sensory play for your little ones. In this article, we will show you how to make edible playdough with different ingredients, how to add fun and flavor to your edible playdough, and how to store and use your edible playdough.
- What is edible playdough?
- Why make edible playdough?
- How to Make Edible Playdough with Different Ingredients
- Marshmallow Playdough
- Fruit-Drink Playdough
- Vanilla Playdough
- Simple Flour Playdough
- Peanut Butter Playdough
- Chocolate Playdough
- How to Add Fun and Flavor to Your Edible Playdough
- How to Store and Use Your Edible Playdough
- How to Use Edible Playdough
- How to dispose of edible playdough
What is edible playdough?
Edible playdough is a dough made with edible ingredients like marshmallows, flour, peanut butter, or icing, similar to fondant used for cake and cookie decoration. It is safe to eat but not very tasty or healthy. It can be molded, shaped, cut, and colored, and it can be eaten as a snack or treat.
Why make edible playdough?
Making edible playdough is a fun and inexpensive activity that helps children develop fine motor skills, creativity, and imagination. It requires a few ingredients and a microwave or stove. Children can create shapes, animals, characters, or scenes with their dough. This fun and safe way to introduce cooking and baking helps them learn how to measure, mix, knead, and color their dough. The experience is also delicious and satisfying, making it a great way to spend quality time with kids.
How to Make Edible Playdough with Different Ingredients
There are many ways to make edible playdough with different ingredients, depending on what you have in your pantry and what flavor or texture you prefer. Here are some of the most popular and easy recipes for making edible playdough at home.
Marshmallow playdough is one of the easiest and most popular recipes for making edible playdough. It only requires three ingredients: marshmallows, coconut oil, and cornstarch. Marshmallow playdough is soft, smooth, and stretchy, and it can be colored with food coloring to make different shades. Here is how to make marshmallow playdough:
- 6 large marshmallows (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- Food coloring (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Place the marshmallows and coconut oil in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until the marshmallows puff up slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Add a few drops of food coloring if desired, and mix well to combine. Use as many drops as you need to create the color you want. After you’ve got the right color, stir in the cornstarch.
- When the dough is cool enough to handle, start kneading it. If the dough still feels too sticky, add a little more cornstarch.
- Enjoy playing and eating your marshmallow playdough!
Fruit-drink playdough is another easy and fun recipe for making edible playdough. It uses fruit-flavored drink-mix powder, such as Kool-Aid, to give the dough a fruity flavor and color. Fruit-drink playdough is also made with flour, salt, water, and oil, and it can be cooked on the stove or in the microwave. Here is how to make fruit-drink playdough:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup salt
- 2 small packages of fruit-flavored drink-mix powder
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then carefully add the boiling water and oil.
- When the mixture has cooled, knead it until it has the right consistency.
- Enjoy playing and eating your fruit-drink playdough!
Vanilla playdough is a sweet and simple recipe for making edible playdough. It only uses two ingredients: store-bought icing and powdered sugar. Vanilla playdough is smooth and creamy, and it can be colored with food coloring to make different shades. Here is how to make vanilla playdough:
- 1 cup store-bought icing (you pick the color!)
- 2 to 2 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- Put the store-bought icing in your mixer and slowly add in the powdered sugar until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Enjoy playing and eating your vanilla playdough!
Simple Flour Playdough
Simple flour playdough is a classic and basic recipe for making edible playdough. It uses flour, salt, water, and food coloring to make the dough. Simple flour playdough is firm and pliable, and it can be cooked on the stove or in the microwave. Here is how to make simple flour playdough:
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup salt
- ½ cup of warm water
- Food coloring
- Stir the dry ingredients together, then slowly add warm water and food coloring to make the dough. Keep stirring (and add more coloring if needed) until the dough reaches the right consistency and color.
- Enjoy playing and eating your simple flour playdough!
Peanut Butter Playdough
Peanut butter playdough is a nutty and delicious recipe for making edible playdough. It only uses two ingredients: smooth peanut butter and powdered sugar. Peanut butter playdough is rich and chewy, and it can be mixed with other ingredients to make different flavors. Here is how to make peanut butter playdough:
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- Mix the ingredients together well to form the dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm it up.
- Enjoy playing and eating your peanut butter playdough!
Chocolate playdough is a decadent and indulgent recipe for making edible playdough. It uses cocoa powder, flour, salt, water, oil, and cream of tartar to make the dough. Chocolate playdough is dark and fudgy, and it can be cooked on the stove or in the microwave. Here is how to make chocolate playdough:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of boiling water
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, then stir in the vegetable oil. Add the boiling water, and stir carefully. Knead the dough once it has cooled.
- Enjoy playing and eating your chocolate playdough!
How to Add Fun and Flavor to Your Edible Playdough
If you want to make your edible playdough more fun and flavorful, you can add some extra ingredients to your dough. Here are some ideas for adding fun and flavor to your edible playdough:
Edible Glitter, Gold Flakes, or Demerara Sugar
To enhance the sparkle of your edible playdough, sprinkle edible glitter, gold flakes, or demerara sugar on top. These glitters, available in baking supply stores or online, add shine and glamour. Demerara sugar, a coarse brown sugar, adds crunch and sparkle. Mix and match any color or shape of glitter or gold flakes for unique effects.
If you want to add some color and texture to your edible playdough, you can mix in some sprinkles. Sprinkles are small pieces of sugar or candy that come in different colors, shapes, and sizes. You can find sprinkles in any grocery store or online, and they can add some fun and whimsy to your dough. You can use any kind of sprinkle, such as rainbow sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles, or shaped sprinkles, and you can use as many as you like.
Chocolate Chips, Nuts, or Dried Fruits
To enhance the flavor and crunch of edible playdough, add chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits to the dough. Chocolate chips provide sweetness and richness; nuts have a crunchy texture; and dried fruits add protein and healthy fats. You can use any type of chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits, such as milk chocolate chips, almonds, or raisins, and adjust the amount or quantity as desired.
How to Store and Use Your Edible Playdough
Once you have made your edible playdough, you can store it and use it later. Here are some tips for storing and using your edible playdough:
How to Store Edible Playdough
To store your edible playdough, you can wrap it in plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container. You can keep it in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. If you store it in the freezer, you will need to thaw it in the microwave or on the counter before using it. You can also label your edible playdough with the date and the ingredients, so you can remember what it is and when you made it.
How to Use Edible Playdough
To use your edible playdough, you can take it out of the fridge or the freezer and let it warm up a bit. You can then knead it, roll it, cut it, shape it, or mold it however you like. You can use cookie cutters, rolling pins, knives, scissors, or your hands to create different shapes and designs. You can also use food coloring, edible glitter, sprinkles, or other toppings to decorate your edible playdough. You can make anything you want with your edible playdough, such as animals, flowers, letters, numbers, or even mini cakes and cookies. You can also eat your edible playdough as you play or save it for later as a snack or a treat.
How to dispose of edible playdough
If you have any leftover edible playdough that you don’t want to eat or keep, you can dispose of it in different ways. You can compost it if it is made with natural ingredients, such as flour, salt, or fruit. You can also feed it to your pets if it is safe for them, such as peanut butter or marshmallow. You can also throw it away in the trash if it is not compostable or edible for your pets, such as icing or chocolate. However, you should not flush it down the toilet or the sink, as it can clog your pipes or harm the environment.
Making edible playdough is a fun and easy activity that you can do with your kids at home. You can make edible playdough with different ingredients, such as marshmallows, fruit drink powder, icing, flour, peanut butter, or cocoa powder. You can also add fun and flavor to your edible playdough with edible glitter, sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits. You can store and use your edible playdough for up to a month, and you can create and eat different shapes and designs with your edible playdough. Making edible playdough is a great way to spend some quality time with your kids and enjoy some delicious and creative play.