You have been eyeing the Gucci logo bags as you pass by the store for decades now. And, have seen them on the arms of well-dressed ladies around the world and have perused the collections in countless magazines for years.
But, can you spot a fake? You spot the women at the local Sushi hot spot with the latest Gucci and the dame at Whole Foods checking out the latest concoctions in organic splendor with a Gucci bag swung over her shoulder. Your question now is Is it real or is it fake. With these tips, you will be able to tell the real from the faux and become an expert in depicting an authentic Gucci.
Background on the Label
Gucci is one of the leading fashion houses in the world, designing ready to wear, handbags, leather goods, fragrances and so much more. American Designer Tom Ford was a legend for the design house and left in April of 2004.
Today there are three people who are bringing new glory to the design house including Alessandra Facchinetti creative director for women’s wear, John Ray creative director for men’s wear, and Frida Giannini creative director of accessories, including the beloved handbags, shoes, jewelry, etc.
How to Spot a Fake
It’s so hard to spot a fake because most are very detailed and very close to the original. But, there are many red flags to follow when spotting that fake Gucci bag and here they are
- Buy your Gucci bag at the Gucci store there are thousands of stores worldwide. This will ensure that you are buying a 100% authentic Gucci bag. There are also a handful of department stores and other authorized retailers that can sell Gucci. For a complete list head to Gucci’s website.
- There are so many details on a Gucci bag are you buying the double G famous logo bag? If so, is the logo an actual G? Make sure you study the logo of the authentic bag, so when you are confronted with a fake you will be absolutely sure that it is what it is. Many fake Gucci bags have odd logos. The logos should be on the inside of the bag; the zippers and the bag should come with an identification card.
- As they say, you get what you pay for. Gucci is a status label for a reason. The handbags aren’t cheap. Be ready to pay hundreds for a logo bag and even thousands for their specialty bags.
- Check out the quality. If it’s new and already falling apart or isn’t the highest quality of fabric (Gucci bags should be made of leather or another high-quality fabric) then it is probably a fake.
- Does it come with the extras? A real Gucci bag coming from an authorized retailer and would come with a dust bag, a Gucci box, etc. If it’s wrapped in plastic, chances are you are buying a fake.
Do Not Buy a Counterfeit Bag
First off it’s illegal and is funneling money to certain groups that want to harm the U.S. (it is rumored that counterfeit goods gave funding to the bombing of New York’s World Trade Center in 1993). It also takes away from the economy because the unlawful businesses that produce these handbags and goods don’t pay taxes.
Besides this, you’re taking away the status and quality for the designers that come up with the designs in the first place.
Get Your Hands on a Gucci
Instead of buying fake, scour thrift shops or vintage stores. I’ll let you in on a little secret. Many women, who can afford new and authentic Gucci bags, give theirs away after a season or two, donating them to places like the Salvation Army. Not into use? Try designer outlet stores or wait until they go on sale.
Many times certain colors or styles will go on sale after the season has ended. My advice, make friends with the sales associates and have them let you know when sales are coming up. You’ll get your hands on an authentic Gucci soon enough and know how to spot a fake.