There is nothing quite as intriguing in a casino as the roulette wheel. The big wheel, the stacks of chips, and the thought of that wheel hitting YOUR NUMBER create an indescribable thrill. Step closer and it gets a little more confusing. Different colored chips scatter the table, placed seemingly willy-nilly. Payouts, when they happen, do not seem to make any sense. For the novice, this can be intimidating.
Once you know roulette’s rules, however, the table makes complete sense. When you sit down at the roulette table, you will need to buy some chips from the dealer. Unlike other games, in roulette each player has his/her own uniquely colored chips. The values can vary, but generally one chip equals one dollar. After all bets are made (I will get to betting in a moment), the dealer spins the wheel.
At the same time, a ball is spun along the wheel’s rim in the opposite direction. The wheel consists of 38 numbers: 1 through 36 (half red, half black) and two green numbers, 0 and 00. Each number on the roulette wheel is partitioned from neighboring numbers, creating a pocket for the ball to land in. As the roulette wheel and ball slow, the ball will land in one of these pockets. Payouts are made based on the number the ball lands on and how the players have bet.
There are numerous ways to bet in roulette, with different payouts depending upon the bet. Payouts range from even money to 35-1 odds (receive $35 for each $1 bet). At first glance the odds for roulette seem beneficial to the player. The existence of the two green numbers – 0 and 00 – however, gives a substantial edge to the casino. For most bets, the casino has a 5.26% edge over the player. For the five-number bet, the casino has an even greater advantage. These are the worst odds in the casino. Therefore, it is best to treat your play as entertainment. In the long run, you will most certainly lose money at this game.
The highest payouts happen in roulette when you place a single number bet. Place your chip directly in a numbered square on the table. If the ball lands in that numbered pocket on the wheel, you receive a payout of 35-1. This and other payouts are given in the chart at the end of the article. Other ways to bet are:
· Two-number bet. Place your chip on the line between two adjacent numbers on the table.
· Three-number bet. This is a bet on the three numbers in any “row” on the table. Bets can be placed on 1/2/3, 4/5/6, 7/8/9, etc. Place your chip on the left line of the leftmost number to place this bet.
· Four-number bet. By placing a chip on the corner intersecting any four numbers, one can bet on those four numbers.
· Five-number bet. There is only one five-number bet – 0/00/1/2/3. These five numbers can be bet by placing a chip where the 2, 0, and 00 intersect.
· Six-number bet. This is a bet on the six numbers in any two “rows” on the table. To bet, place the chip on the leftmost line where the two rows intersect.
· Column bets. There are three columns on the table. Each column can be bet on individually by placing a chip in the center of the top-most line above the number 1, 2, or 3.
· “Twelve” bets. Bet on the first, middle, or last twelve numbers by placing your chip in the box to left of the table marked 1st 12, 2nd 12, or 3rd 12.
· Odd/Even and High/Low, Red/Black bets. These are the even money bets. You can place these bets by placing your chip in the appropriate box to the left of the table.
For all multi-number bets, the player wins if the ball in the roulette wheel lands on one of the player’s numbers. Winners are paid and all losing bets are raked off the table into the casino’s pot. Bets are again placed, and the next round begins.
Bet Black, 1-1
Bet Red, 1-1
Bet Low Numbers (1-18), 1-1
Bet High Numbers (19-36), 1-1
Bet Even Numbers, 1-1
Bet Odd Numbers, 1-1
First Twelve Bet (1 to 12), 2-1
Second Twelve Bet (13 to 24), 2-1
Third Twelve Bet (25 to 36), 2-1
First Column Bet, 2-1
Second Column Bet, 2-1
Third Column Bet, 2-1
Six-Number Bet, 5-1
Five-Number Bet, 6-1
Four-Number Bet, 8-1
Three-Number Bet, 11-1
Two-Number Bet, 17-1
Single Number Bet, 35-1