Turquoise jewelry is all the rage these days. In fact, turquoise jewelry seems to be a staple in fashion from one year to the next. Purchasing turquoise jewelry from department stores, jewelry stores or specialty stores can get very expensive. With a little time, effort, and creativity, you can make your own beautiful turquoise jewelry designs. The following are a few ideas to get you started. The supplies needed for each project can be purchased at many craft or beading stores.
Turquoise Necklace or Bracelet Supplies:
*Nylon coated wire cable (often referred to as tiger tail
*Silver beads or clear glass beads
*Needle nosed pliers
- Decide on the desired length for your necklace or bracelet. Measure that length of wire, add two inches, and snip the wire. The simplest way to snip this type of wire is with fingernail clippers.
- Lay your turquoise and silver/clear beads in the desired pattern. For example, it is nice to have three turquoise beads and then one silver/clear bead and repeat this pattern throughout. Move the beads around in different patterns until you find one that you like.
- String one end of the clasp onto the wire. Hold the clasp near the end of the wire, allowing for about a half-inch to remain at the end. Bend the wire at that end so that the clasp sits in the bottom of the V.
- String one crimping bead through both ends of the wire and slide it so that it is right by the clasp. Using your needle-nosed pliers, squeeze the crimping bead until it flattens. This holds the clasp in place.
- Starting from the long end of the wire, string your pattern of turquoise and silver/clear beads until there is about one inch of wire remaining. If you don’t like your pattern, feel free to switch the beads around until you are pleased.
- When you are pleased with your design, slide a crimping bead onto the wire followed by the other end of the clasp. Bend the wire back around and thread it through the crimping bead. As before, squeeze the crimping bead with the needle-nosed pliers until it is flat and all the beads are secure.
- If there is any wire hanging off the end, you may clip it and tuck the end of the wire into the last bead so it is not seen.
- This same method can be used with any type of beads.
Turquoise Earrings Supplies:
*On pair of French hook ear wires
*Two turquoise beads (small)
*Two silver beads or clear glass beads
*Needle nosed pliers
- Please one turquoise bead and one silver/clear bead onto a head pin
- Thread the end of the head pin through the loop on a French hook ear wire.
- Using your needle nosed pliers, bend the wire around until it closes, connecting the head pin to the ear wire.
- Cut off any excess wire using fingernail clippers or small wire cutters.
- This design may be used with any type of beads. If you would like longer or shorter earrings, adjust the number of beads accordingly.
Using these simple ideas to get you started in jewelry design can help you to create wonderful turquoise jewelry items that you will be proud to wear. Handcrafted jewelry also makes a wonderful gift for your loved ones at a very economical price. With a little creativity and patience, you too can make beautiful jewelry at home!Using these simple