Shaving soap is a popular cosmetic product that you can make yourself. Home remedy is easy to make. Such products will be inexpensive and will be much more useful than purchased options.
Table of Contents
History of soap origin
During excavations in Mesopotamia, archaeologists saw one of the first proofs that soap making has a centuries-old history. In the places of settlement of the Sumerians, scientists have discovered clay tablets that were created around 2800 BC. They described the process of making a cosmetic product based on ash and molten fat.
Various variants of ancient soap were used by the inhabitants of Ancient Greece and the ancient Roman state. True, such products in time immemorial had little resemblance to today’s versions of detergents. In today’s performance, solid soap appeared only about 200 years ago.
Men can comfortably get rid of stubble and maintain silky skin on the face with various shaving products. On sale, you can find solid and creamy types of products, as well as powders. The most convenient and popular option is a washer or briquette of the solid structure. Such a tool is often sold in the form of a stick or in a special bowl.
Why you should use shaving soap
Solid shaving soap is a separate category of cosmetics.
Its characteristic features:
- it has a multicomponent composition and contains some specific ingredients;
- creates a lot of thick and dense foam during use;
- it is prepared using a special technology.
Useful properties of shaving soap:
- it has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- softens the skin;
- makes overgrown hairs more tender;
- well relieves irritation, redness.
Too dense varieties are not recommended only for those who are always in a hurry or often shave outside the house.
Advantages and disadvantages
An environmentally friendly product can be made independently.
The resulting cosmetics have a number of advantages:
- it rarely causes allergic reactions;
- it costs less than store-bought options;
- stored longer than purchased foams or mousses;
- for one procedure, you need quite a bit of soap, because it foams perfectly, as a result of simple labor, the resulting composition lasts for a long time.
In a self-made product, you can easily adjust the number of different components, which allows you to make it safe and as useful as possible. It is appropriate to adjust the ratio of ingredients yourself to avoid allergies. The composition is also not prohibited to adjust depending on the type of skin, its sensitivity. You will be able to create an original tool that takes into account your personal tastes and preferences. To do this, use essential oils with your favorite flavors in the recipe.
The disadvantages of this soap are few:
- Additional time is required. First – for making the product, and later-for shaving. After all, the procedure takes longer than when using gels and other more liquid products.
- The product is not always comfortable to use. Soap should be mixed with water, in addition, you need to use a brush. This is not always convenient during vacations, business trips, or other conditions outside the home.
- Sometimes there are problems with the skin. This is usually experienced by owners of dry skin or people who are prone to allergies.
Types of soap products
There are three types of shaving soap, taking into account its main composition:
- Made from animal fats — the most nutritious. Its shelf life is shorter than that of other varieties. And in the process of removing unwanted vegetation, a relatively large amount of liquid is required to produce foam.
- A product is created based on some kind of vegetable oil. Usually it is palm, coconut or olive oil. Sometimes a mixture of several types is used. The qualitative composition of the resulting soap is slightly inferior to the first option. The product is not recommended for use in winter, as a plant-based product in the cold can tighten the skin, causing unpleasant sensations.
- Glycerin is usually the lowest grade. It often causes poor shaving quality, leads to dry skin and other dermatological problems.
In the process of using the product, a special device is additionally used — a brush. First, use soap to make a thick, thick foam. Then, in a circular motion, distribute the composition over the surface of the face skin with a brush. Thanks to the lush soap mass applied with a brush, the razor will glide gently without damaging the skin.
How to cook at home
Options for making soap at home:
- Buy a high-quality soap base in the store. Then combine it with other ingredients.
- Make the product using baby or household soap.
- Create your own soap base and get one hundred percent home-made product.
Additionally, honey, cosmetic clay, purified water, stearin, glycerin, and other ingredients are used. Essential oils are added to the soap base: coconut, lavender, olive, peach, and others.
The best shaving soap is a unique tool created with your own hands, with an individual aroma and appearance.
It can be made by combining different types of essential oils in recipes. The effect on the nervous system of the finished product will be different. For example, lavender, ylang-ylang, bergamot, or geranium will help you calm down. Citrus aromas, mint, rosemary, ginger, or coniferous scents activate the nervous system, energize. Sandalwood reduces aggressiveness, helps to restrain negative emotions. When choosing, take into account the different effects of products on the skin. Tea tree essential oil helps reduce dermatological irritations. Ylang-ylang rejuvenates the skin, and thanks to rosemary, it is easier to get rid of acne rashes.
Shaving soap is prepared cold or hot. The choice of option depends on the availability of time for the soap maker and the effect that he wants to achieve.
- In the cold process, two solutions are first prepared separately — oil and alkaline. Then they are mixed to a homogeneous mass at a temperature of 40 to 60 degrees. As a result of the chemical reaction, the soap heats up, gradually changes its consistency, and becomes a gel. The whole process takes up to an hour of personal time, and then the product matures for several weeks.
- Hot cooking is a traditional option for experienced specialists. Soap is kept in a water bath for 4-5 hours, constantly mixed and liquid is added. After cooking, it becomes very hard, some of the properties of the components are lost during heat treatment. But lye doesn’t “eat” essential oils.
Some masters combine two types of preparation of cosmetics. First, prepare the soap in a cold way and pour it into special heat-resistant molds. And then place the product for an hour in a preheated oven to 75-80 degrees. The finished soap is left in the oven overnight, and only then taken out.
With a calming effect
A simple recipe in which the main ingredient is a ready-made soap base. This cream soap is suitable for men who have sensitive or dry facial skin.
You will need:
- soap base — 100g;
- lavender oil-up to 25 drops;
- tea tree and bay leaf oil — 10 drops each;
- coconut oil — 5 ml;
- honey — 1 tsp..
- Melt the soap base in a water bath.
- Combine it with coconut oil and honey, knead.
- Add essential oils, make the mixture homogeneous.
- Place the finished product in suitable molds.
- You can apply it after it has completely solidified.
Cream soap with your own hands
A product based on laundry soap.
- On a grater with large teeth, process 100 g of soap.
- Fill it with 50 ml of warm water and place it in a water bath.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the mixture. When the soap and sweet crystals are well dissolved, mix until smooth.
- Take 8 g of laurel oil, combine it with 5 g of dimethicone and 10 g of talcum powder.
- Make the composition without any lumps, and then add it to the soap mass.
- Already in the cooling mixture, pour 1 g of cypress oil.
- Mix, pack in a suitable container and leave to cool.
After 2-3 days, remove the soap from the mold and place it under a paper or cloth napkin. So it will lie down for another 10 days, then you can use the finished product.
With an invigorating effect
An interesting recipe for making homemade soap from scratch. Thanks to rosemary and mint, it increases the overall tone of the body and gives strength.
- Melt 80 g of coconut and palm oil in a water bath. Then add to them 80 g of olive oil.
- In the resulting mixture, pour 300 ml of lukewarm water and beat everything with a blender.
- Add 110 g of sodium hydroxide, 120 g of glycerol and 300 g of stearic acid to the composition.
- Heat the ingredients in a water bath for about half an hour, until the mass thickens and becomes transparent.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of white clay, mix the composition.
- When the mixture has cooled slightly, pour in 5 drops of peppermint and rosemary essential oil.
- Place the finished product in the molds to freeze.
The presented homemade shaving soap can be made with other essential oils. For example, it is not forbidden to use coniferous (cedar, pine) ingredients. Especially popular are fatty formulations created on the basis of orange, lemon, grapefruit, and other citrus fruits.
Important cooking nuances
What to pay attention to when making handmade soap:
- You can not take components with an expired shelf life, or independently increase the dosage of the products included in the recipe.
- Ceramic or glass dishes are used in the work.
- Do not mix the components with metal devices, use a wooden spoon.
- Essential oils should not be thrown into the hot mixture.
- Exclude warming up of ingredients on fire. They are melted only in a water bath, placed in a suitable container.
- In the presence of allergies, essential fats are used minimally. In this case, it is advisable to take only one type of product for the recipe.
During the soap making procedure, take precautions, because not all the ingredients in the recipes are safe.
Sodium hydroxide can cause burns to the skin or mucous membranes of the eyes. Some essential compounds can provoke allergic reactions or have a narcotic effect, while others are phototoxic.
Soften the bristles before using a shaving soap. If it is not too hard, it is enough to wash your face with water.
Some useful tips:
- For owners of dry and sensitive skin, home remedies made from a ready-made soap base are more suitable. For men with normal or oily skin, it is appropriate to use any options for homemade products.
- For shaving, it is better to take a short brush, the brush of which is made of a slightly hard material.
- Whipped soap foam is applied by rotating movements, evenly distributing it over the surface. This will allow you to lift the hairs for a better shave, remove dead skin areas and perform a light facial massage.
If a person suffers from an intolerance to certain substances, then the recipes do not use the type of oil associated with this product. Allergy sufferers should use essential ingredients with caution in the soap-making process. Their doses are reduced.
Making soap with your own hands is recommended for creative people who want to please themselves, their relatives, and friends with useful products. In the process of producing a fragrant product, you can get a lot of positive emotions, learn an original craft and create a personal version of the effective result.