Many people think that making cream and body lotion is difficult, but it is actually quite simple. You just have to do it. By making your own body lotion, you avoid being exposed to chemicals commonly found in such creams. For example, you can make a wonderfully scented body butter or natural body lotion yourself.
Table of Contents
Types of body lotions
- These products are presented in a huge assortment in cosmetic stores, but you can also make your own lotion. Before moving on to popular recipes, let’s get acquainted with the types of body lotions and their main ingredients:
- moisturizing – for dry skin, most often oil-based or water-based; with skin prone to dryness and dehydration, alcohol lotions should not be used;
- nourishing – for oily skin, often with an antibacterial effect, since this type of skin is prone to acne and clogging of pores with fatty secretions; in the hot season, choose alcohol-based lotions, in winter – oil-based;
- for normal skin , there are usually no problems with the choice;
- for a combination, choose the right products: if some parts of the body are dry, while others, for example, are of a normal type, it is not always convenient to use different lotions corresponding to the type of each area, so when purchasing a lotion, pay attention to its purpose – you only need it for combination skin;
- specialized lotions : for pregnant women (preventing stretch marks), for children (with a neutral safe composition), for people prone to dermatological allergies (with hypoallergenic components).
According to the type of base, lotions are divided into three categories: water, alcohol, and oil. Other ingredients make the lotion more functional, and add ingredients to your own taste in your recipe.
Tip in advance
If possible, reserve an old blender, a small to medium glass bowl, and a spatula that you use exclusively for your DIY products. The beeswax you use for this can leave a residue on, for example, the blender.
Preparing your own funds is quite simple, it is only important to carefully observe the proportions of the ingredients indicated in the recipe and achieve a homogeneous emulsion consistency. Think about which zone you will use this product for – whether it will be a universal composition or for a decollete with a tightening effect (with cinnamon extract), or a fat-burning one for the buttocks and thighs (with red pepper extract).
If you add fragrances to the composition, then additional use of perfume is not recommended.
Body lotion for dry skin
For a lotion for dry skin, use sweet almond oil, it absorbs well and does not leave a greasy film on the skin. Almond oil is available at most health food stores.
Pour ¾ cup of clean oil into a Pyrex measuring cup and add 2 tablespoons of shaved beeswax (available at health food stores).
Place the measuring cup in a pan with water. Heat the pan, for example on the heating, until the beeswax dissolves and then immediately remove it from the heating. Let the mixture cool for a minute or two.
Then pour 1 cup of water (or use rose water!) into the blender and start blending at high speed. Don’t forget to put the lid on! However, leave a hole through which you can pour the beeswax-oil mixture. Keep adding the mixture until everything is absorbed into the water.
Then add 30 drops of essential oil. The different essential oils have different healing properties, choose one to soothe the complaints. For example, lavender oil against sunburn. Pour the mixture into a glass jar and use the spatula to remove the remaining lotion from the blender. The lotion has a shelf life of about 6 months. For example, keep it in the fridge.
Oil based body lotion
The most popular oils used for these purposes:
- Jojoba oil is hypoallergenic, rejuvenates, and makes oily skin more elastic, the oil is indispensable for the prevention and elimination of stretch marks;
- for dry skin, shea butter will be the best: excellent hydration of the epidermis, elimination of wrinkles and stretch marks, smoothing of scars;
- cocoa butter will make the skin radiant, soft, well-groomed, and give a beautiful shade;
- almond oil will improve the appearance, healing the skin from the inside.
Recipe 1: 50 ml of sesame oil and 15 ml of almond and olive oil are mixed until smooth, after which the lotion is applied to the body.
Recipe 2:, moisturizing: In 100 ml of any citrus juice heated in a water bath, add 100 ml of honey and almond (can be olive or other vegetables) oil.
Body lotion with flower petals
If you opted for roses, then you first need to prepare rose water:
- Pour 50 g of petals with 0.5 liters of hot water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the cooled infusion and add 1 tsp. soda.
- Lotion can be used for rubbing or spraying on the skin.
Based on rose water, you can try another recipe: 5 tbsp. l. mix pink infusion with 2 tbsp. l. glycerin and 3 tbsp. l. freshly squeezed lime juice. This lotion keeps well in the refrigerator, so you can make it ahead of time. For flower lotion, you can use not only the popular rose but also lily petals.
Oil lotion on lily petals
To prepare this remedy, you will need a month of exposure :
- Place 150 g of natural lily petals and leaves in a suitable glass jar with a lid.
- Bring to a boil in a water bath and cooled olive (or any other vegetable) oil, pour the ingredients in the vessel.
- Put it in a cool, dry place for 1 month, remembering to shake the contents from time to time.
Use the prepared lotion daily on a clean body.
Lotions of this type at home are easiest to prepare based on vodka. Here are two simple recipes.
Recipe 1: On a fine grater or in a blender, grind 2 medium or 1 large fresh cucumber to a gruel. For 100 g of gruel, add 10 ml of vodka, mix well and place in a container with a lid in a dark place for infusion. After 10 days, filter the mixture – the lotion is ready for use.
Recipe 2: Pour 40 g of chamomile and mint (fresh or dried) into a thermos and pour 180 ml of boiling water for 2 hours. Add 80 g of vodka to the cooled and filtered lotion, shake well and place in a vessel convenient for use. The firming body lotion is ready.
Honey citrus body butter
Combine 2 tablespoons of beeswax with half a cup of grapeseed oil in a wide-mouth jar. Place the jar in the microwave until the wax is almost completely melted. Then add 1 capsule of vitamin E oil, 2 to 3 tablespoons of distilled water, and 10 drops of citrus essential oil.
Then use an immersion blender to mix all the ingredients. Let the mixture ‘set’ for about 15 to 20 minutes after mixing. Then put it in a small jar. Store the body butter in the refrigerator.
Products with citrus fruits (for example, grapefruit or lime), glycerin (with honey and borax), herbal (with chamomile, sage, plantain, aloe, parsley, mint), cream, etc. also have a very good effect on the skin.