Paper fortune tellers are a great way to have some fun with your friends. But did you know that you can also use them to make predictions about your future? Here’s how to make your own paper fortune teller.
Paper fortune tellers are fun little origami projects that you can make with just a sheet of paper. They are also called cootie catchers, and they can be used to play simple games or to tell fortunes. Making a paper fortune teller is a great activity for kids, and it’s also a good way to use up spare pieces of scrap paper.
What You’ll Need
- 8.5″ x 11″ piece of paper
- Pen or pencil
- Fold your paper in half lengthwise and crease well. Open the paper backup.
- Fold each edge of the paper towards the center crease and crease well.
- Open the paper flat and fold it in half again lengthwise, making a smaller rectangle with 4 equal sections when folded. Crease well and open back up so it lies flat.
- Cut 2″ off of each of the unfolded side edges – you should now have a strip that is4″ wide when folded with 4 equal sections. Set the 2″ strips aside, you will not need them for this project.
- Fold each remaining section in half diagonally and crease well to make a triangle out of each section (The center point where all 3 sides meet is the pivot point). You should now have 4 triangles total when you open the fortune teller backup.
Making the Paper Fortune Teller
Cut a square out of construction paper. Make sure that all the sides are of equal length. If they’re not, it will affect how your fortune teller works.
Fold the square in half diagonally to make a triangle. Then, fold the triangle in half again to make a smaller triangle. Unfold the triangle and then fold each side into the middle so that it looks like a little kite.
Now that your fortune teller has four little flaps, you can start decorating it! color in or glue on construction paper decorations, or even write words or phrases on each flap. Get creative!
Once you’re done with the outside, it’s time to move on to the inside. Each flap will have two pockets; these are where you’ll hide your fortunes. To make the pockets, take two adjacent flaps and fold them up so they meet in the middle The point where they meet is where you’ll insert your fortunes
Customizing Your Paper Fortune Teller
Now that you know how to make a paper fortune teller, it’s time to personalize yours! Pick a color scheme, pattern, or subject that speaks to you. math class
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- use different colors of paper
- draw or print out images to glue on the fortune teller (just be sure they will fit when it’s folded up!)
- write out your fortunes in calligraphy or colored markers
- make a theme fortune teller, like Harry Potter or Halloween
Using Your Paper Fortune Teller
Paper fortune tellers are a classic childhood toy, and you can use them to tell fortunes, play specialty games, or just have fun. They’re also very easy to make!
- To use your paper fortune teller, start by holding it with all 4 corners touching the palm of your hand.
- Open and close the Fortune Teller so that all 4 corners are back in your palm.
- While the fortune teller is open, have your friend choose a number between 1-8.
- Once your friend has chosen their number, begin moving your thumb and first 2 fingers in and out so that the corners with their number touch.
- When you’re finished moving your fingers in and out the appropriate amount of times, open the Fortune Teller back up to reveal their fortune!
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks for making your own paper fortune tellers:
Choose a sturdy piece of paper for your fortune teller. This paper will be harder to fold and may tear more easily.
Experiment with different sizes of paper to see what you like best. Fortune tellers can be anywhere from small to large.
If you want your fortune teller to be extra durable, consider laminating it after you finish folding it.
Be creative with the design of your fortune teller. You can use different colors of paper, add embellishments, or even print images on the paper before you begin folding.
Q: Can I use regular paper?
A: Yes, but it’s best to use light-colored construction paper so your design will show up better.
Q: Can I use anything other than a pencil to make the folds?
A: No, you need a sharp tool to make precise folds. Otherwise, your paper fortune teller won’t work properly.
Q: Can I use any design I want?
A: Yes, you can be as creative as you want with your design. Just make sure it fits on the paper and that all the edges are sealed.
Now that you know how to make paper fortune tellers, you can make them for any occasion! Whether you’re throwing a birthday party, or baby shower, or just want to have some fun with your friends, paper fortune tellers are a great way to entertain. So get creative and have fun!