It is impossible to imagine life without them nowadays, air fresheners. In the past, the only air freshener in the house was a box of matches in the toilet to expel the unpleasant odors. Homemade air fresheners. Using glass jars, herbs, and citrus fruits, you can make your own air freshener that is a thousand times better than the chemical ‘junk’ you find in the store.
What you need
You will need glass jars for these homemade air fresheners. Maybe you can use an empty jar of Nutella or speculoos spread. But of course, you can also buy a sterilizing jar in the store. You also need ingredients to fill the jars. Some examples:
- Citrus fruits: lemons, limes, oranges, … all give off a wonderful scent that immediately reminds you of summer.
- Herbs: Herbs are also a good choice. Just think of rosemary, thyme, and mint.
- Spices: Not only herbs but also spices fit perfectly in these homemade air fresheners. Cinnamon, vanilla, star anise, juniper berries, … all provide a wonderful aroma.
How does it work?
These scent pots are very easy to make yourself. All you have to do is put a combination of the citrus fruits, herbs, and spices in a jar. Then you put on a kettle and fill the jar with warm water. To prolong the effect, you can put them on the heating. As a result, the water stays warm longer and water vapor/steam continues to be created.
In addition, you can use some pots more than once.
Don’t feel like using jars? Then let everything simmer gently in a saucepan. Or bring out your fondue set and cook all the ingredients in it.
Fragrance recipes to try
Could you use some inspiration to fill the jars? Then try the combinations below:
- Orange, cinnamon, cloves and star anise: the orange and cinnamon are a perfect combination, while the cloves and star anise provide the finishing touch .
- Lemon, rosemary and vanilla: this combination provides a wonderfully fresh aroma in your home.
- Lime, thyme, vanilla and mint: a variation on the previous recipe. This combination also produces a fresh, pleasant scent.
- Orange, ginger and almond extract: this is the perfect air freshener for anyone who likes a sweet scent.
- Pine and cedar sprigs, bay leaf and nutmeg: with this fragrance recipe you immediately bring nature inside.
Did you know that these jars can be made in advance? You can keep them in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks.