Hair accessories can quickly and inexpensively add punch and pizzazz to any outfit. The process of making these items can be as fun and fulfilling as wearing them. A collection of paraphernalia including elastic, clippies, a hot glue gun, needle and thread, floral wire, and of course bright-colored ribbons can be transformed into one-of-a-kind finishing touches for any outfit.
If you’re looking to add some personality and flair to your hairstyles, making your own hair bows and scrunchies can be a fun and easy way to do it. Whether you’re new to the DIY scene or an experienced crafter, this guide will provide you with all the information you need to create your own hair accessories.
Materials You Will Need
To get started, you’ll need a few basic materials:
- Fabric strips (1 inch wide and 12-16 inches long)
- Elastic band
- Needle and thread
- Hot glue gun (optional)
Step-by-Step Guide to Making a Hair Bow
- Cut your fabric into 1-inch wide strips that are 12-16 inches long. The number of strips you’ll need will depend on the size of the bow you want to make.
- Tie the center of the fabric strips into a knot, making sure the knot is tight.
- Fan out the fabric strips on either side of the knot, adjusting them so they’re even.
- Tie another knot near the bottom of the fabric strips, again making sure it’s tight.
- Use a needle and thread to secure the knot in place.
- Trim any excess fabric to create a neat, finished bow.
- Attach the bow to a hair elastic using a hot glue gun or a needle and thread.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making a Scrunchie
- Cut a strip of elastic that’s approximately 12 inches long.
- Cut a piece of fabric that’s approximately 20 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, with the patterned side facing in.
- Slip the elastic into the folded fabric and sew the two open edges together, making sure to leave a small gap at the end.
- Turn the fabric right side out and insert the elastic, pulling it tight to gather the fabric.
- Sew the gap closed, making sure to secure the elastic in place.
- Trim any excess fabric to create a neat, finished scrunchie.
Tips and Tricks
- To create a fluffier bow, use more fabric strips and make the bow slightly bigger.
- To create a more structured bow, use stiffer fabric such as felt or vinyl.
- Experiment with different fabric patterns and colors to create unique hair accessories.
- If you’re using a hot glue gun, make sure to let the glue cool and set completely before using your hair bow or scrunchie.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions and answers that will help you in making hair bows and scrunchies:
What type of fabric should I use for making hair bows and scrunchies?
You can use any type of fabric that you prefer, but lighter and softer fabrics like satin, cotton, or chiffon work best for hair accessories.
How long should my fabric strips be for making a hair bow?
Your fabric strips should be approximately 12-16 inches long and 1 inch wide.
Can I use a sewing machine to make a scrunchie?
Yes, you can use a sewing machine to make a scrunchie, but make sure to leave a gap for inserting the elastic.
Can I make hair bows without using a hot glue gun?
Yes, you can make hair bows without a hot glue gun by using a needle and thread to attach the bow to a hair elastic.
Can I make different sizes of hair bows and scrunchies?
Yes, you can make different sizes of hair bows and scrunchies by adjusting the size of the fabric strips and elastic.
How do I make a bigger or fluffier hair bow?
To make a bigger or fluffier hair bow, use more fabric strips and make the bow slightly bigger.
Can I make hair bows and scrunchies with different colors and patterns?
Yes, you can make hair bows and scrunchies with different colors and patterns by using different fabric options. Experiment with different fabric choices to create unique hair accessories.
We hope these FAQs have helped in your journey of making hair bows and scrunchies. Happy crafting!
Making your own hair bows and scrunchies is a fun and easy DIY project that can add a touch of personality to your hairstyles. With just a few basic materials and the step-by-step guides provided, you’ll be on your way to creating beautiful hair accessories in no time. So grab your fabric and elastic, and start crafting today!