This origami wallet is simple to fold and work up very quickly it should take approximately five minutes for a beginner to fold this model. You need just one square of paper and a place to work.
Your square size will be determined by how large you’d like the finished wallet to be. Experiment with different sizes until you achieve the desired dimensions. Practice with any paper you have on hand until you have mastered the folds of the model and have determined the correct paper size. A standard sheet of copy paper works well for this. Use inexpensive paper first and then move on to colored or patterned paper, if desired. The paper you use should be heavier than the average sheet of loose-leaf notebook paper.
In order to achieve accurate folds and sharp creases, you have to fold against a hard, flat surface. A table or hardback book will do. Run a pencil or ruler edge over each crease as you work to make them even sharper
- Position a square of paper on your work surface so that its edges are facing up and down, left and right. If you are using two-sided paper, make sure that the color you want for the exterior of the wallet is facing down.
- Bring the top edge down to meet the bottom edge. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the left edge over to meet the right edge. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the upper right point of the model down to its center. Use the intersection of crease lines made in Steps 2 and 3 as a guide.
- Repeat Step 4 for the remaining three points of the model to form a diamond shape.
- Rotate the model to the left so that its edges are facing left and right, up and down.
- Bring the top edge of the model to meet its horizontal center. Use the pointed flaps folded down in Steps 4 and 5 as a guide. Crease and leave folded.
- Bring the bottom edge of the model up to meet its horizontal center. Crease and leave folded.
- Bring the left edge of the model over to meet the right edge. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the left edge of the model over to meet the vertical crease line made in Step 9. Crease and leave folded.
- Bring the right edge of the model over to meet the vertical crease line. Crease and leave folded.
- Bring the left edge and right edge together at the back of the model to fold in half. Press flat.
- Position the model so that the long side that has one folded edge and two open edges are pointing away from you.
- Open up the top of the model and locate the two square flaps at the second layer of the top open edge. Grasp the interior point of the right flap between thumb and forefinger and pull this point out to the right to form a triangular flap. Press flat.
- Repeat Step 14 for the left interior flap. The resulting shape should resemble a boat. Turn the model over.
- Repeat Steps 13-15.
- Bring the left triangular flap back to tuck in between the rectangular flap and the center of the model. Press flat. The left edge of the model’s top layer should now be straight. Repeat for the right triangular flap. Turn the model over.
- Repeat Step 17. There will now be two long pockets at the top of the model.
- Fold the model in half from left too right to complete the wallet.