This traditional origami model, the lover’s knot, is a purely decorative beginner-advanced level origami project. Read each step carefully before attempting it. Only move on to the next step when you are confident that all previous steps have been correctly completed.
You’ll need a square of paper for your lover’s knot. Practice with any plain, white paper you have on hand, but make your display version from a special colored or patterned paper. Make sure that any paper you use is a bit heavier than the average sheet of loose-leaf notebook paper.
The only other thing you’ll need before you begin folding is a well-lit, suitable place to work. In order to achieve accurate folds and sharp creases, you should fold against a hard, flat surface. A table or hardback book work for this. Run a pencil or ruler edge over each crease as you work to make them even sharper.
- Position a square of paper on your work surface so that its edges are facing up and down, left and right. If you are using two-sided paper, make sure that the color you want for the exterior of the knot is facing down.
- Bring the top edge down to meet the bottom edge. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the left edge over to meet the right edge. Crease and unfold.
4, Bring the upper right point of the model down to its center. Use the intersection of crease lines made in Steps 2 and 3 as a guide.
- Repeat Step 4 for the remaining three points of the model to form a diamond shape. Turn the model over.
- Position the model so that its points are facing up and down, left and right. Repeat Steps 4-5.
- Bring the upper left point of the model down to meet the lower right point. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the upper right point down to meet the lower left point. Crease and unfold. Turn the model over and position it so that its edges are facing up and down, left and right.
- Lift up each of the four flaps that make up the model’s top layer and pinch downward along the crease lines made in Steps 6 and 7.
- Pinch at all four corners of the model and keep pinching until the top flaps come up along the existing crease lines and the bottom layer comes down. Press the model flat into a diamond shape. Press flat. The open end of the model should be facing away from you.
- Open up the flaps that make up the model’s top layer and press down at the left and right top points (top layer only). The top layer of the model should collapse into a rectangular shape composed of two square flaps. Turn the model over and repeat.
- Bring the left half of the model’s top edge (top layer only) down to meet the vertical center. Crease and leave folded. Repeat for the right side of the model. Turn the model over.
13 Repeat Step 10 to create a triangular shaped model.
- Pull the model apart, from front to back, so that the middle section expands into a square.
- Flatten the model to form the lover’s knot.