We all know that dogs are man’s best friend. But what if your best friend was a piece of origami? In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make an origami dog that will be your new best friend.
What is origami?
Origami is the Japanese art of paper folding. The word “origami” comes from the two Japanese words “ori” meaning “folding”, and “kami” meaning “paper”.
Most origami artists use a specific kind of paper called “koshaoui washi”, which is a type of thin, strong Japanese paper. This paper is usually made from mulberry trees, and it is often dyed with natural dyes before being used for origami.
Origami dates back to the 17th century when it was first used as a form of communication between spies during the Edo period in Japan. The spies would send messages by folding the paper into specific shapes, which could then be decoded by the receiving party.
Nowadays, origami is mainly used as a form of art, and there are many competitions and exhibitions held around the world each year to showcase the talents of origami artists.
The history of origami
Origami is the Japanese art of paper folding, which is often associated with the country. The word “origami” is a combination of two Japanese words: “ori,” meaning “folding,” and “kami,” meaning “paper.”
The first known origami instructions were published in Japan in 1797, and origami continued to be popular in Japanese culture. Later, it became popularized in the Western world by Pierre Evertsz (1873-1945), who is known as the grandfather of origami. He created many of the classic origami designs that are still popular today, such as the crane and water lily.
In recent years, origami has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to artists such as Robert Lang (b.1957) and Won Park (b. 1971). They have created intricate designs that can be quite complex, pushing the boundaries of what is possible with origami.
The benefits of origami
Origami is an ancient art form that dates back to the 6th century in Japan. The word “origami” comes from the Japanese words “oru” meaning “to fold” and “kami” meaning “paper.” Today, origami is enjoyed by people of all ages around the world.
Origami is not only fun, but it also has many benefits. Some of the benefits of origami include:
- It can help improve your concentration and attention span.
- It can help improve your fine motor skills.
- It can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- It can help boost your creativity.
The basics of origami
Origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding. The goal of this art form is to create a representation of an object using only a single sheet of paper. Often, origami artists will use a square sheet of paper, but you can really use any rectangular piece.
To begin origami, you must first start with a “base.” This is a simple fold that will form the foundation for the rest of your origami figure. Once you have your base, you can then start adding on more folds to give your figure more dimension and shape.
There are many different bases in origami, but the most common one is known as the “mountain fold.” To do this fold, simply take your rectangular piece of paper and fold it in half vertically. Once you have folded it in half, open it back up and then fold each side in to meet at the center crease. This will give you four layers of paper.
Next, take the top layer and make a small accordion fold by folding the paper back and forth until you have a 1-inch strip of folded paper. Then, take the bottom layer and do the same accordion fold. When you’re finished, your paper should look like a mountain landscape!
How to make an origami dog
This dog is made out of two pieces of paper, so it’s easy to make. You can use any kind of paper you want, but origami paper is usually a bit easier to work with.
- Start with a square piece of paper, with the color side up. Fold it in half, crease well and unfold.
- Fold the top two corners down to the bottom corner, crease well and unfold
- Turn the paper over
- Fold in half again, crease well and unfold
- Now make small mountain folds along the center line as shown
- Flip the paper over
- Make 2 folds as shown below, making sure that the top flap is shorter than the bottom flap
- The origami dog is now complete!
Tips for making origami dogs
With a few simple tips, you can create an origami dog that looks just like a real pup. Before you begin, choose your paper carefully. Origami paper is thin and easy to work with, but you can also use regular printer paper. Just be sure to use a square sheet so that your dog will have the right proportions.
- Start by folding your paper in half diagonally to create a triangle. Then, fold the triangle in half again to create a smaller triangle.
- Next, find the midpoint of the long side of the triangle and fold it up to meet the top point. This will create a head and neck for your origami dog.
- Now it’s time to add the legs. Fold down the bottom corner of the triangle to create the first leg, then do the same on the other side. Make sure that both legs are equal in length.
- To finish off your origami dog, simply add a tail by folding up a small section of the paper at the back end. Now you have an adorable little pup to play with!
Variations on the origami dog
You can make an origami dog in many different ways. Some people like to make their dogs with long snouts, while others prefer short snouts. You can also vary the size of your dog, depending on how big or small you want it to be.
Here are some ideas for how to make different kinds of origami dogs:
For a long-snouted dog, start with a traditional origami square. Fold the paper in half diagonally to make a triangle, then fold it in half again. Next, fold the triangle in half again, so that you have a small triangle. Now fold down the top corner to form the nose, and you’re done!
For a short-snouted dog, start with a traditional origami square. Fold the paper in half diagonally to make a triangle, then fold it in half again so that you have a small triangle. Now fold up the bottom corner to form the nose, and you’re done!
To make a large dog, start with an origami square that is twice as big as a traditional origami square. Fold the paper in half diagonally to make a triangle, then fold it in half again so that you have a small triangle. Now fold up the bottom corner to form the nose, and you’re done!
To make a small dog, start with an origami square that is half the size of a traditional origami square. Fold the paper in half diagonally to make a triangle, then fold it in half again so that you have a small triangle. Now fold down the top corner to form the nose, and you’re done!
Advanced origami dogs
These origami dogs are for the origami enthusiast who has mastered the basic skills and is looking for a challenge. If you can make a basic Origami Dog, you should be able to make these origami dogs.
- Start with a square sheet of paper.
- Fold the paper in half so that it is a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in half so that it is a square.
- Fold the square in half so that it is a rectangle.
- Fold the top left corner down to the bottom right corner, forming a triangle.
- Fold the triangle in half, creasing well. Unfold the triangle.