In this blog, I’m going to teach you how to make an origami dinosaur. This project is perfect for kids or anyone who loves dinosaurs! With just a few simple steps, you’ll be able to create your own prehistoric friend. So let’s get started!
What is origami?
Origami is the Japanese art of paper folding. The word “origami” is derived from the two Japanese words oru (to fold) and kami (paper).
Traditionally, origami was used to decorate kimonos and was considered a form of entertainment for children. Today, origami is a popular hobby for people of all ages around the world.
Origami can be used to create a wide variety of objects, including animals, flowers, containers, and geometric shapes. In this guide, we will show you how to make an easy origami dinosaur.
The history of origami
Origami is the Japanese art of paper folding, which is often associated with the country. The origins of origami are unknown, but it is believed to have started in China before spreading to Japan.
The first use of the word origami in print was in 1801, in a book called The Adventures of Futami no Kazehiro, which was written by a Japanese poet and artist named Hokiidaru Okamoto. The book was about a ninja who used origami to transform himself into different animals.
Origami reached its height of popularity in Japan during the Edo period (1603-1867) when the paper was a valuable commodity, and only those who could afford it would use it for origami. During this time, there were many different styles of origami, such as kirigami (cutting paper) and Temari (balls made from folded paper).
Today, origami is enjoyed by people all over the world, regardless of age or culture. It has even been used in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and medicine.
The benefits of origami
Origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding. The word “origami” is derived from the Japanese words “ori”, meaning “to fold”, and “kami”, meaning “paper”.
Origami is a great way to relax and unwind, and it can also be used to create beautiful works of art. There are many benefits to origami, including the following:
- It can help to reduce stress and anxiety
- It can improve your concentration and attention span
- It can help to develop your fine motor skills
- It can boost your creativity
How to make an origami dinosaur
You can make an origami dinosaur using only a few simple steps. The first thing you will need to do is fold a sheet of paper in half. Once you have done this, you will need to fold the paper in half again. After you have completed this step, you will then need to fold the paper in half one last time.
Once you have finished folding the paper, you will then need to cut out a triangle from one of the corners of the paper. Once you have cut out the triangle, you will then need to unfold the paper. After you have unfolded the paper, you should see a triangle shape on one of the corners of the paper.
The next step is to take the corner of the paper with the triangle shape and fold it over so that the triangle shape is on top of the other corner of the paper. Once you have done this, you will then need to take the other corner of the paper and fold it over so that it is on top of the first corner that you folded over.
The next step is to take one of the long sides of the paper and fold it over so that it meets in the middle with the other long side of the paper. Once you have done this, you will then need to take one of the short sides of the paper and fold it over so that it meets in the middle with the other short side of the paper.
The final step is to gently push down on each side of the paper so that it forms a three-dimensional object.
Tips for making origami dinosaurs
Dinosaurs are a perennial favorite origami subject and with good reason! They’re big, they’re impressive, and they often have really nifty details that can be highlighted with careful folding. Here are some tips to keep in mind as you fold your own origami dinosaurs.
Choose a thin, sturdy paper for your dinosaur. Origami paper works well, but you can also use regular printer paper or even construction paper. Just be aware that thicker papers will be more difficult to fold and will result in a bulkier finished product.
Pay attention to the instructions. Origami can be tricky, and even a small mistake can result in an oddly-shaped dinosaur. If you’re having trouble with a particular step, try looking up a video tutorial online or consulting a more experienced origami folder.
Be patient! Folding origami is often a slow process, and it can be frustrating if your dinosaur doesn’t seem to be taking shape the way you want it to. Just take your time and enjoy the process of creating something unique and impressive out of nothing but a sheet of paper.
Variations of origami dinosaurs
There are many different ways that you can make an origami dinosaur. Some people like to use traditional origami paper, while others prefer to use colored construction paper. You can also make your dinosaur out of scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, or even tissue paper.
If you want to add a personal touch to your origami dinosaur, you can decorate it with paint, glitter, sequins, or anything else that you like. You can also experiment with different folds and techniques to create different looks for your dinosaur.
Here are a few variations of origami dinosaurs that you can try:
Triceratops: This three-horned dinosaur is one of the most popular origami dinosaurs. To make triceratops, start with a square piece of paper and fold it in half diagonally. Then, fold the top corners down to the bottom corner and crease well. Next, fold the top flap down and crease well. Finally, flip the paper over and fold the remaining flap up.
Stegosaurus: This Jurassic Park favorite is a little more challenging to make than the triceratops, but it’s definitely worth it! To make a stegosaurus, start with a square piece of paper and fold it in half diagonally. Then, fold the top corners down to the bottom corner and crease well. Next, fold the top flap down and crease well. Finally, flip the paper over and fold the remaining flap up.
Brachiosaurus: This massive dinosaur is one of the most impressive origami creations! To make a brachiosaurus, start with a rectangle piece of paper and fold it in half lengthwise. Then, fold each side inward so that they meet in the middle and crease well. Next, take the top layer and folding down so that there is about an inch of space at the bottom (this will be the neck). Finally, flip the paper over and do the same thing on the other side (this will be the tail).
How to use origami dinosaurs
If you want to make an origami dinosaur, you will need two pieces of paper. One piece of paper will be for the body and the other piece will be for the head.
- Start with a square piece of paper. If you don’t have a square piece of paper, you can fold one corner of a rectangle until it meets the opposite edge.
- Make a fold along the center of the square. Unfold.
- Make a mountain fold along one side of the center fold line. A mountain fold is when you fold the paper away from you, making the peak in the center.
- Make a valley fold along the other side of the center line. A valley fold is when you fold the paper towards you, making the valley in the center. The mountain and valley folds should meet in the middle so that your paper looks like a kite shape.
- Fold down one top corner to meet the bottom edge of your kite shape. This will be the tail of your origami dinosaur. Unfold and repeat on other side.
- Now, take your second piece of paper and make a mountain fold down one side and a valley fold down the other, just like we did with our first sheet of paper. This second sheet will be for our origami dinosaur’s head.
- To attach our head to our body, we’re going to use something called a wet-folding technique. This is where we use water to help shape our origami dinosaurs First, slightly dampen one edge of your head and flap with water using your finger or a cotton swab. Be careful not to soak it – we just want it damp, not dripping!
- Next, take your body kite shape and place the dampened edge of your head flap onto one side near the top (this will be placed for one eye). Line up all four corners so that they’re flush with each other and gently press down to secure them in place Now do wet-folding on both sides
- (9&10)of the neck area, This time, we are going to create an opening for the mouth by folding down the top flap only halfway.
- (11)We want the bottom edge to still remain flat.
- (12) When finished,dab away any excess water with a clean towel or cloth
FAQs about origami dinosaurs
How long will it take to make an origami dinosaur?
It depends on the size and complexity of the design, but most origami dinosaurs can be made in under 30 minutes.
What kind of paper should I use?
Any kind of paper will work, but you may want to use thicker paper if you are making a large origami dinosaur. Origami paper is a good option because it is usually a little bit thicker than regular paper.
Can I use a different kind of dinosaur?
Yes! You can use any kind of dinosaur you want. You can even make your own design if you can’t find one that you like.
What if I don’t have origami paper?
You can use any kind of paper you have around the house, such as construction paper, wrapping paper, or even recycled paper.