Origami is the ancient Japanese art of paper folding. It is said to have originated in the 17th century, and it is still practiced today by people all over the world.
The origami cube is a popular design, and it’s not difficult to make. With just a few folds, you can transform a square piece of paper into a three-dimensional cube.
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make an origami cube. We’ll also provide some tips on how to make your origami cube look its best.
Origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding. The term “origami” is derived from two Japanese words: “ori”, meaning to fold, and “kami”, meaning paper. There are origami artists who create works of art using only folded paper, without the use of cuts or glue. However, origami instructions usually include cutting and pasting as well.
Origami dates back to the seventeenth century, when it was practiced by the Japanese upper classes as a leisure activity. In the 1800s, origami began to spread to other cultures and countries. Today, origami is practiced all over the world by people of all ages.
This guide will teach you how to make a simple origami cube. You will need six squares of paper, each measuring six inches (15 cm) on each side. You can use any type of paper you like; however, thin papers such as construction paper or printer paper work best for beginners.
The Basic Steps
Here are the basic steps to make an origami cube.
- Start with a6″ x 6″ (15cm x 15cm) square origami paper, color side down.
- Fold the paper in half on the horizontal diagonal axis.
- Fold the paper in half on the vertical axis.
- Fold each corner to the center of the paper along the dotted lines as shown below. Be sure to crease well and unfold after each fold so that you have 4 separate triangular flaps as shown in step 4 below.
- Now fold each triangular flap in half again so that the point of each triangle meets the center crease created in step 6 above, as shown in step 7 below. Once again, be sure to crease well and unfold after each fold so that you have 8 separate triangular flaps as shown in step 8 below:
- At this point, you will notice that there are 4 small triangles at the center of your paper – one at each corner – which was not incorporated into any of the folds made so far:
- Pick up one corner flap and bring it over to meet the adjacent side, aligning all raw edges, as shown below:
- Now pick up another flap and repeat step 9 until all four flaps have been brought over and all raw edges have been aligned, resulting in a folded shape that resembles a kite or diamond:
- Turn your paper over so that the color side is now facing up
- Take one corner flap and fold it upwards so that its outer edge aligns with the top edge of your paper, as shown below:
- Repeat step 12 with another flap until all four flaps have been folded upwards:
- Now take one side flap and fold it over to meet the adjoining side, aligning all raw edges:
- Take another flap and repeat step 14 until all four flaps have been folded over:
- At this point you will notice that there are 4 small pockets or openings at each corner of your folded shape – these were created by folding the flaps upwards in steps 12 – 13 17 Pick up one pocket flap and bring it over to meet the adjoining side, tucking it inside the pocket as shown below, then do the same with another pocket flap until all four pocket flaps have been tucked inside their respective pockets:
- Your origami cube is now complete!
The Final Steps
Congratulations, you have completed your origami cube! This project is deceptively simple, yet very rewarding. folding origami is a skill that takes practice and patience, but once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to make all sorts of amazing objects.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to help you make an origami cube:
- Start with a square piece of paper. If you don’t have a square, you can fold a rectangular piece of paper in half to make a crease, then unfold it and fold the two top corners down to the crease to make a triangle. Then, fold the triangle in half to make a smaller triangle, and unfold it. You should now have a square.
- Once you have a square, fold it in half to make a crease, then unfold it.
- Next, take the top two corners and fold them down to the center crease. Then, take the bottom two corners and do the same thing. You should now have a diamond shape.
- Next, fold the diamond in half to make a crease, then unfold it.
- Now, take the top two corners and fold them down to meet in the middle at the crease that you just made. Then, do the same thing with the bottom two corners. You should now have a smaller diamond shape.
- Next, take one side of the diamond and fold it over to meet the other side in the middle. Crease well and unfold. This will be your lid flap.
- Finally, take the whole thing and fold it in half so that all the flaps are on one side. This will be your cube!
There are many variations on the basic origami cube. Some people like to use a different color for each side of the cube, which can give it a more interesting appearance. Others add embellishments to the edges of the cube, such as beads or sequins.
One popular variation is known as the “waterbomb base.” To make this variation, collapse your paper into a triangle, then fold it in half twice more to create a small square. Now, fold each corner of the square into the center, and unfold. You should now have eight flaps sticking out in the center of your paper. Take two adjacent flaps and fold them towards each other so that they meet in the middle; repeat with the remaining six flaps. Finally, fold up the sides of your paper so that they meet in the middle, and you’re done!
Origami cubes are relatively easy to make, but there are a few advanced techniques that can make your cubes look even better.
For starters, you can try using different types of paper. Origami paper is usually square, but you can also use rectangular paper or even scrapbooking paper. If you want your cube to be a different color on each side, try using patterned paper or wrapping paper.
Another way to make your cube look more impressive is to use a method called wet-folding. This technique allows you to achieve much crisper folds and sharper corners. To wet-fold an origami cube, simply soak your origami paper in water for a few seconds before folding it.
You can also add embellishments to your origami cubes, such as stickers, beads, or sequins. Get creative and have fun!
Q: What kind of paper do I need?
A: You will need 6 square sheets of paper, all the same size.
Q: How do I fold the paper?
A: The first step is to fold each sheet of paper in half diagonally, making a triangle. Next, you will need to fold each triangle in half again diagonally, making a smaller triangle. Once you have all six triangles, take two of them and fold them in half so that the pointy ends meet in the middle. Repeat this step with the remaining four triangles.
Q: How do I assemble the cube?
A: Take two of the folded triangles and insert one into the other so that the pointy ends meet in the middle. Repeat this step with the remaining four triangles. Once you have all six sides assembled, your origami cube is complete!
Now that you know how to make an origami cube, you can use it to impress your friends, or even make a whole city out of origami cubes!