This camera is a whimsical and entertaining origami model. After the model is complete, push down at its center to hear the click of the camera. To fold this model, you’ll need a piece of paper that has been cut into a square and a place to work.
Use any paper you like for you trial version of the camera – a standard sheet of copy paper is a good choice. Once you have mastered its folds, however, then move on to a colored or patterned paper. A sturdier paper will produce a better clicking sound.
Fold your model against a surface that is hard and flat for the best results. This type of surface will help you make the most accurate folds and sharpest creases possible. A table, floor, or hardback book will do nicely.
- Position a square of paper on your work surface so that the edges are facing up and down, left and right. If you are using two-sided paper, make sure that the color you want for the exterior of the camera is facing down.
- Bring the left edge over to meet the right edge. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the top edge down to meet the bottom edge. Crease and unfold.
- Bring the upper left corner down to meet the center of the model. Use the intersection of crease lines made in Steps 2 and 3 as a guide.
- Repeat Step 4 for the remaining three corners. The result will be a diamond shape model.
- Turn the model over and position it so that its points are facing up and down, left and right.
- Bring the top point down to the center of the model. Use the intersection of crease lines made in Steps 2 and 3 as a guide.
- Repeat Step 7 for the remaining three points. The result will be a square-shaped model.
- Turn the model over and position it so that its edges are facing up and down, left and right.
- Repeat Step 4 and 5. Turn the model over and position it so that its points are facing up and down, left and right. The top layer of the model will be composed of four diamond-shaped flaps.
- Open up the top diamond-shaped flap and bring its bottom point to meet the top point. The flap will collapse upward into a rectangular shape. Press flat.
- Repeat Step 11 for the bottom flap.
- Grasp the left and right flaps by their interior points and pull them apart to unfold. The top and bottom rectangular flaps will rise up to meet at the center of the model.
- Turn the left and right flaps downward and reverse the creases that lie beneath them.
- Press the two rectangular flaps at the top of the model together and press the model flat. The model should now have two legs, each pointing out and away from the center.
- Bring the back layer of the model down and press flat.
- Lift the two legs of the model up by their points and bring them over to meet over the center of the model.
- Bring the right leg under the left and fold the tip of the right leg over the left to hold it in place. Bring the tip of the left leg down to secure the right leg, as well. Pinch to keep the tip in place. There will be some tension as you perform this step – this is what will cause the camera to click in the step that follows. The folded legs will protrude from the center of the model.
- Pick the model up and grasp it by its short edges. The smooth side should be facing you. Place your thumbs at the center of the model, and push in to hear the camera’s clicking noise.
- Repeat Step 18 and 19 before each click of the camera.