Origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding, and there’s nothing more satisfying than creating a beautiful butterfly out of a single sheet of paper. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make your own origami butterfly step-by-step. So grab a piece of paper and let’s get started!
Hi, welcome to our tutorial on how to make an origami butterfly. In this tutorial, we’ll be showing you step-by-step how to make this beautiful butterfly.
To start, you’ll need two pieces of square paper. We recommend using origami paper, but you can use regular printer paper as well. If you’re using regular paper, you’ll need to fold it in half to create a crease down the middle.
Once you have your paper ready, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need
- 1 sheet of square origami paper
- a pencil
You can make a simple origami butterfly using two pieces of paper. The first step is to fold one piece of paper in half lengthwise. Then, fold the paper in half again, this time widthwise. Next, take the top layer of the paper and fold it down so the edge lines up with the crease in the middle. Fold the paper in half once more, this time widthwise. Then, take the top layer of the paper and fold it down so that the edge lines up with the crease in the middle. Finally, unfold all of the folds. You should now have a long, thin strip of paper.
The next step is to take the other piece of paper and fold it in half lengthwise. Then, take the top layer of the paper and fold it down so that the edge lines up with the crease in the middle. Next, unfold all of your folds. You should now have two long, thin strips of paper.
Next, take one strip of paper and make a loop by bringing one end over to meet the other end and taping them together. Do not tape all the way down; leave a small gap at the bottom so that you can insert your other strip of paper. Once you have made your loop, take your other strip of paper and insert it into the gap at the bottom of your first loop. Tape this second strip of paper in place. Now you should have two loops connected by a smaller strip of paper running through them both; this is your butterfly’s body.
To finish your origami butterfly, simply decorate it however you like! You can add googly eyes or paint them with pretty colors. Let your creativity soar!
Tips and Tricks
The origami butterfly is a beautiful and easy origami model. Follow our step-by-step instructions to make your own origami butterfly.
- Use a square sheet of paper.
- Fold the paper in half, crease well and open, then fold again in the other direction.
- Fold the paper in half again and crease well.
- Fold each corner of the paper to the center and crease well.
- Flip the paper over and fold each corner to the center again.
- Fold each side of the paper to the center and crease well.
- Flip the paper over and repeat on the other side. your origami paper should now be divided into 16 smaller squares. Now we will start folding the Origami Butterfly wings. Take any two adjacent squares and fold them into a triangle as shown in step 1 below.
- Do this for all 16 squares to get 8 pairs of triangles 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Take two triangles that are opposite each other (for example triangles 2 & 8)and fold them towards each other until they meet in the middle as shown in step 2 Then open up both triangles along the valley fold line as shown in step 3 Next, take another pair of opposite triangles (for example triangles 1 & 7)and do steps 2 & 3 again Now take one more pair of opposite triangles(for example triangles 3 & 5)and repeat steps 2 & 3 Finally take the last pair of opposite triangles (for example triangles 4 & 6)and do steps 2 & 3 one last time Your Origami Butterfly should now look like this:
There are many variations of origami butterflies, some with two wings and some with four. This design is a basic two-winged butterfly. For a four-winged butterfly, try folding two of these butterflies and attaching them together at the body.
You can also make variations in the shape of the wings. Instead of folding the wings down flat, try folding them up so they look like they’re in flight. Or fold them down in the middle so they look like they’re resting on a flower.
If you want to get really creative, try making a butterfly out of paper that’s already decorated, like scrapbook paper or origami paper.
- You could make an origami butterfly mobile by suspending several butterflies from a string or wire.
- For a quick and easy butterfly craft, try this printable butterfly template. Just print out the template, color it in, and cut it out.
- Origami butterflies make pretty decorations for a springtime celebration or a child’s birthday party. You could string them together to make a garland, or assemble them on a piece of paper to create Origami Butterfly Wall Art.
- If you want to get really creative, you could try making an origami butterfly cake, like this one inspired by Mollie Katzen’s Moosewood Cookbook.
The origami butterfly is a beautiful and simple origami model. It is perfect for beginners and can be made with any kind of paper.
Here are the instructions to make an origami butterfly:
- Fold a square piece of paper in half to make a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in half again to make a smaller rectangle.
- Fold the top corners of the rectangle down to the center, creasing well. Unfold.
- Fold each side of the rectangle in to meet at the center crease, creasing well. Unfold.
- Turn the paper over and fold it in half lengthwise, creasing well and unfolding.
- Make two small diagonal folds at the top corners of the paper, creasing well and unfolding. These will be the butterfly’s wings.
- Fold the bottom corner of the paper up to meet the top edge, creasing well and unfolding. This will be the butterfly’s body.
- Now fold both sides of the paper in towards the center, making two small triangular folds. These will be the butterfly’s antennae.
- Your origami butterfly is now complete!