If you’re looking for a unique holiday decoration this year, try your hand at making an origami Christmas tree! This simple project is perfect for kids and adults alike and is a great way to recycle old newspapers or wrapping paper.
How to make an origami Christmas tree
This traditional origami Christmas tree is very easy to make. It’s a great activity for kids and can be hung on the Christmas tree as decoration.
What you need:
- 1 sheet of square origami paper
- A pencil
- A stapler
- Fold your origami paper in half, then in half again to create a crease. Unfold the paper and then fold the top two corners down to meet the center crease.
- Fold the paper in half again and then cut along the crease to create two triangular pieces of paper. These will be the tree’s branches.
- Take one of the triangular pieces of paper and, with the point facing downwards, fold both sides in towards the center so they meet in the middle. The folded edges should now be pointing upwards. Repeat with the other piece of paper.
- Take one of the folded pieces of paper and, with the point facing downwards, fold both sides in towards the center so they meet in the middle. The folded edges should now be pointing upwards
- Place both pieces of paper on top of each other so that they form a cross shape, with the two points at the top meeting in the middle
- Staple all four points together to secure
- To finish, simply fluff out your origami Christmas tree and hang it on your tree!
What you’ll need to make an origami Christmas tree
To make an origami Christmas tree, you’ll need:
- A square sheet of paper
- Tape or glue
- A pencil
- A pen or marker (optional)
Fold your paper in half diagonally to make a triangle. Then, unfold the triangle.
Fold the left and right sides of the triangle in to meet at the center crease. Crease well and unfold.
Now fold the top and bottom edges of the triangle in to meet at the center crease. Crease well and unfold.
Turn the paper over so that the folded flaps are facing down. Fold the top left and right corners down to meet at the center, crease well, and unfold. Then do the same with the bottom left and right corners. Your paper should now look like a diamond shape.
How to fold an origami Christmas tree
Here’s how to fold an origami Christmas tree that can stand up on its own. This model is originally designed by Fumiaki Kawahata, one of the most popular origami designers in the world. The folding instructions are easy to follow so anyone can make this origami Christmas tree.
- Start with a square piece of origami paper of any color, but if you want a traditional Christmas tree, use green origami paper.
- Fold the paper in half. Unfold it and then fold it in half the other way so you have a crease that divides the paper into quarters.
- Fold the paper again in half, this time folding along the diagonal creases that you just made. Unfold and then repeat on the other side so you have two diagonal creases going in opposite directions.
- Take the top corner of the paper and fold it down to meet the bottom edge of the paper. Repeat on both sides so you have two triangles at the top of your paper and two at the bottom.
- Fold each triangle in half so that the point meets the middle of the bottom edge of the triangle (when viewed from above). Unfold and repeat on all four triangles.
- Take one triangle and fold it up so that its point meets halfway up the side of the triangle (when viewed from above). Repeat with all four triangles until your entire sheet of paper is folded into thirds, with triangular flaps at each end
How to decorate your origami Christmas tree
There are many ways to decorate your origami Christmas tree. You can use ribbons, bows, garlands, lights, ornaments, and even candy canes!
Ribbon: You can use ribbon to make spirals, loops, or braids. You can also tie ribbons around the tree in a bow.
Bows: You can make bows out of ribbon or fabric. You can also buy pre-made bows at most craft stores.
Garland: You can make a garland out of ribbon, yarn, fabric, or even paper. Garland is a great way to add color and texture to your tree.
Lights: You can use mini lights or LED lights to decorate your origami tree. Just be sure not to overload the electrical outlets!
Ornaments: You can hang small ornaments from the branches of your origami tree. Ornaments come in all shapes and sizes, so you’re sure to find the ones that you love.
Candy Canes: Candy canes are a traditional Christmas decoration. You can hang them from the branches of your origami tree for a sweet touch.
Tips for making a perfect origami Christmas tree
Here are some tips to make your origami Christmas tree perfect:
- Choose the right paper. Thin, lightweight paper works best for origami projects. If you use thicker paper, your tree will be more difficult to fold and won’t look as crisp.
- Fold the paper in half. Fold the paper in half lengthwise, then unfold it and fold it in half widthwise. This will create a center crease that will help you align the folds later on.
- Begin folding at the top corner. Take the top corner of the paper and fold it down to meet the bottom edge, creating a triangle shape. Unfold the triangle, then refold it, making sure that the creases are nice and sharp.
- Fold the triangle in half again. Once you’ve made a nice crease at the top of the triangle, fold it in half so that the point meets the bottom edge, creating another triangle shape. Unfold this triangle and set it aside for now – we’ll come back to it later.
- Make a series of accordion folds. Starting at the top corner of the paper (the same corner you started with in step 3), make a series of accordion folds by folding the paper back and forth in 1-inch increments until you reach the end of the paper. At this point, your paper should look like a strip of pleated fabric.
- Make a cut at the center of each pleat. Using a sharp knife or scissors, make a small cut at the center of each pleat. This will give your tree some extra texture and dimension when it’s finished!
- Finish folding your tree. To finish folding your tree, take the triangle from step 4 and place it over one end of your accordion-folded strip so that its point is touching The other end of your strip should be free – this will be used to stand up your tree. Accordion-fold this triangle up until its point meets the top point of your tree, then tuck under The remaining flap of paper hanging off the bottom of Your tree should now be complete!
How to make an origami Christmas tree stand
To make your origami Christmas tree stand, you will need:
- 1 sheet of square origami paper
- Cut a small square out of the center of your origami paper. This will be the base of your tree.
- Fold your paper in half diagonally to create a triangle. Unfold and repeat with the other half of the paper.
- Fold the top corner of your paper down to the center crease, then unfold. Repeat with the other side.
- Fold each side of your paper into the center crease, then unfold.
- Starting at the bottom corner of your triangle, make a series of small folds up to the top point, accordion style.
- Fold the top point down to meet the bottom point, then unfold.
- Turn your paper over and repeat steps 5 and 6 on this side. You should now have a double-sided tree shape.
- To finish, cut a small strip of tape and use it to secure the two points together
How to make an origami Christmas tree topper
Fold a green piece of origami paper in half diagonally and open it back up. Fold the top left and bottom right corners in to meet at the center crease. Unfold, then fold along the center crease going in the opposite direction.
Next, take the top layer of the two triangles on the left and fold it down to the bottom point. Do the same thing with the right side.
Now you will have four triangles pointing downwards. Take the topmost triangle on the left and fold it to the right, aligning the edge with the center crease (as shown in the photo). Repeat with the remaining triangles.
Once all four triangles have been folded, turn over your tree topper. You should see eight triangles poking outwards – these will form your tree’s branches.
To finish, simply curl each branch upwards to give your origami Christmas tree some dimension!
How to make an origami Christmas tree skirt
An origami Christmas tree skirt is a beautiful and unique way to dress up your tree. It’s also a great way to use up scraps of fabric or gift wrap. And best of all, it’s easy to make!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Scraps of fabric or gift wrap (enough to make a 30″ square)
- Ribbon or string (for hanging)
- Origami paper (optional)
To make the origami Christmas tree skirt, start by cutting your fabric or gift wrap into a 30″ square. If you’re using origami paper, tape two pieces together to form a square.
Fold the square in half, then in half again, and in half again until you have a strip that is about 1″ wide. Tape the strip into a loop, making sure that the raw edges are tucked underneath.
Now it’s time to start folding! Make folds about 1″ wide, accordion style. You can make as many or as few folds as you like; just be sure that the folds are evenly spaced. Once you’re finished folding, tape the end of the strip into place.
Hang your origami Christmas tree skirt around the base of your tree with ribbon or string, and enjoy!