Table of Contents
Smokey eyes, a well-known term in the beauty field. Every woman knows what smokey eyes look like, but unfortunately, it is less known how to apply smokey eyes. If you just try it, without really delving into it, it will unfortunately usually go wrong. Of course, the right occasion and technique are very important for the smokey eye.
You shouldn’t just wear Smokey eyes to a wedding (unless it’s a goth-themed wedding). There is a time and place for everything. Smokey eyes are very tricky at first. Knowing the right techniques while applying them can end in disaster. Lucky for you, I’ve already been a walking disaster and learned from my mistakes, so now I’m here to tell you how to avoid them too!
When most people think of smokey eyes, they immediately think of black smokey eyes. But of course, you can make smokey eyes in any color you want! Below is a list of supplies. Always match the products you use to the color of your smokey eyes.
Example: If you are making black smokey eyes, use black for ‘eyeshadow dark shade’ and gray for ‘eyeshadow light shade’
What do you need?
- Eyeshadow base
- eye pencil
- Eyeshadow dark shade
- Eyeshadow light shade
- Very light eyeshadow or ‘highlighter’
How do you make smokey eyes?
- Thoroughly cleanse your face and apply a moisturizing cream.
- Apply the eyeshadow base to your eyelids and spread it so that you can no longer see it.
- Now you apply your eye pencil. You do this on the inside as well as on the outside around your eyes. Don’t make this a thick line. Slightly brush it out with a brush to increase the smokey effect.
- Now apply the eyeshadow in the dark shade all over your eyelid.
- Now go with the eyeshadow in the lighter shade over the eyeshadow in the dark shade (only the top). This will cause the top to fade a bit. The colors will now blend into each other. Focus mainly on the outer corners so that it slopes slightly upwards.
- Now apply the liquid eyeliner just above your lashes, over your eyeshadow.
- Now apply the light eyeshadow or highlighter just below your eyebrows.
- Finally, apply mascara to complete the look.
On what occasions do you make smokey eyes?
- Going out
- Festive occasions
- On a date in the evening
- Very light smokey eyes (grey, brown etc) can be worn during the day when you go to work or school
- Don’t go to work or school with dark smokey eyes
Low budget tips
- Many women do not have an eyeshadow base at home. This is not a disaster! You can also apply a little powder or foundation to your lids. This will also keep your eyeshadow in place for a long time. However, if you really want to apply an eyeshadow base, you can buy an eyeshadow base from the Miss Helen brand at Hema. This costs a few euros and is about as good as that of the more expensive brands.
- For example, suppose you would like to make black smokey eyes, but you only have 1 type of black eyeshadow at home? No problem! For example, you can also choose a bright, striking color with ‘eyeshadow light shade’. This gives an extra festive effect. With a smokey eyes the intention is to get a kind of ‘smoke effect’. So that it starts dark and gets lighter outwards. If you take this into account, then almost anything is possible.
- You can omit the light eyeshadow or highlighter. The only effect of this is that you get a fresher look.
- With smokey eyes, you will draw a lot of attention to your eyes. So definitely make sure to apply a lip gloss/lipstick in a light color, otherwise you will get a laughable result rather than that sexy look you want!
- Wet the brush slightly before applying eyeshadow for an extra eye-catching effect.
- Make sure you have practiced before putting on smokey eyes for a party, for example. It’s harder than it looks.
- If you want to apply your smokey eyes beautifully, keep in mind that it will take you at least 15 minutes to start.