Sharing documents via email is one of the wonders of our century.
We have the ability to create anything on our personal computers and email them to everyone we know. However, technology isn’t perfect yet. There are times when the receiver doesn’t have the software that was used for document creation.
Therefore, they can’t open the document. Or, they may have an earlier version of say, Publisher, so they are unable to open the document that you spent hours creating! We can make graphics, create Word documents, share spreadsheets, etc. much easier if they are converted in Adobe Acrobat pdf documents.
Most computers come with Adobe Reader as standard software. The Adobe Reader allows computer users to open any Adobe document that has the file extension .pdf. which stands for Portable Document Format. The document is delivered to the recipient in a read-only format, but they can easily open the email attachment you send.
To convert a document such as a Microsoft Office document, you will need to obtain the Adobe Acrobat software. This is available wherever software and computers are sold, or can be downloaded from Adobe’s website. There are also several other software packages available at little or no cost.
Once you install the Adobe Acrobat software, go through the following steps to convert a document.
- Open the document you wish to convert.
- Go to your Print command, either by clicking on the Print icon, entering Ctrl/P or opening File, then Print.
- Using the Name drop-down menu, select Acrobat Distiller as your printer. The software installation process automatically assigned the Distiller as a printer option.
- Click on the Properties button.
- Choose the tab Adobe PDF Settings.
- Your choices are ebook, press, print, or screen. Ebook is generally selected when sending a great deal of text. Press uses optimized settings and should be selected if you are preparing a document for insertion into a newspaper or magazine. Print formats the document to be printed, and screen is used when the recipient will just be looking at the document on their computer.
- Click OK.
- Your regular Print screen will come up with the Distiller as the printer. Click OK.
- You will be prompted to save the PDF file.
- The Adobe Acrobat Reader will open with the document saved as a .pdf file.
You can also select different options from the Distiller menu. This is primarily done when you are formatting your Portable Document Format piece to fit a printer’s requirement. Make sure that you obtain the requirements of the publication first, and then take the following steps:
1) Open the document you wish to convert.
2) Go to your Print command
3) Select Acrobat Distiller as your printer.
4) Click on the Properties button.
5) Choose the tab Adobe PDF Settings.
6) Select ebook, press, print, or screen.
7) Click on Edit Conversion Settings.
8) Five tabs are available for edit:
General: Choose your Default Page Size, which page(s) of your document you wish to convert, and your resolution in dpi.
Compression: You will not usually need to edit the values under this tab. This simply tells Acrobat how to compress your file during the conversion process.
Fonts: You can decide whether or not to embed fonts in your document, or which fonts should be included or excluded. Again, unless your printer has unique requirements, you should not need to edit these values.
Color: This tab allows you to mandate that colors be converted to RGB, and how workspaces should use Grayscale, CMYK, and RGB colors.
Advanced: Word of Caution about this tab! Unless you are very aware of what you are doing, it’s best to leave the Distiller defaults alone. They are set to match each of the four conversion options.
9) Click OK to get to your Print screen.
10) Save the file under a new name.
11) Click OK to open the Adobe Reader and see your document.
The Adobe Acrobat software is very user friendly. Just keep in mind that you use the Distiller as a printer option to convert your document, and remember to close the new .pdf document before you try to attach it to an email message. Now, you can send every document you want to share to every person you want to share it with!