If you wear your silver charm jewelry a lot, it may eventually become a bit dull or there is some deposit on your jewelry. This is called oxidation, this is a natural process with the material silver and therefore also with silver jewelry. Oxidation of your jewelry is caused by perfume, cosmetics, and hairspray, among other things.
But also the acidity of your skin. This acidity varies from person to person and depends on many factors such as what you eat, whether you perspire a lot, take your medication, whether you have drunk alcohol, and many more of these factors. Fortunately, silver is easy to clean. In this article, you can read several practical tips for cleaning and maintaining your silver charm jewelry
Table of Contents
Why does silver discolor?
Over time, silver will always discolor, but why exactly? Silver, and therefore also silver jewelry, for example, is blackened by sulfur. Sulfur is in the air and occurs in other substances.
When sulfur and silver come into contact with each other, a chemical reaction occurs. This forms a black layer on the silver. You can compare this to rust on iron.
Materials that contain a lot of sulfur include wool, perfume, and eggs. In addition to discoloration, daily use ensures that the jewelry or objects can become dirty. This makes them less beautiful. But of course, it’s not that hygienic either.
1. Cleaning silver jewelry with a silver jewelry cleaning cloth
A silver cleaning cloth is the best way to clean your silver jewelry. It’s not always the easiest way, because sometimes you have to brush long and hard before you get results. Please note, a silver polishing cloth should not be put in the washing machine, because then it will lose its effect.
2. Clean silver jewelry with aluminum foil and soda
According to various websites, such as blogs, there are various do-it-yourself means that are worth trying to polish silver cutlery or clean silver jewelry. NB! We cannot guarantee that these will work. In addition, be careful with your silver items.
A container of cola or vinegar
This home garden and kitchen tool can be an option for cleaning silver jewelry or silver cutlery. Place the silverware overnight in a container with cola or vinegar and you will see the result the next day.
Container with table salt and aluminum foil
Take a container and place a folded piece of aluminum foil in it. Then sprinkle some kitchen salt over this piece of aluminum foil. Place the silver jewelry or cutlery on the foil. Pour over hot water, it is important that the silver objects are completely submerged. Wait half a minute and turn the objects over. Then wait again for a while and remove the objects from the water and finally rinse them with cold water.
According to certain sites, you could also clean silver jewelry with toothpaste? To do this, put some toothpaste on an (old) toothbrush and brush the silverware to be cleaned with it. Have you tried the above methods and it still does not work satisfactorily?
4 .Cleaning silver jewelry with dishwashing liquid
Make soapy water with lukewarm water and a little liquid mild dishwashing liquid. Then dip your silver jewelry in it. Gently brush your jewelry with a soft (tooth) brush. Then rinse your jewelry with lukewarm water and dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
5. Cleaning silver jewelry with silver polish
You can clean your silver jewelry with special cleaning fluid for silver jewelry. You place the jewelry in the supplied immersion basket and let the liquid soak in for a few minutes. Then rinse the jewelry thoroughly and dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
Prevent contamination of silver objects
There are a number of useful ways to prevent your silver jewelry from getting dirty quickly, namely:
1. Take off your silver jewelry during sports or other activities that cause you to perspire
2. Make sure that your silver jewelry or cutlery does not come into contact with certain substances that contain a lot of sulfur.
3. Also take off your silver jewelry while swimming or doing household chores.
4. Leave your silver jewelry off until you’re done putting on perfume and makeup.
Maintaining your silver jewelry
To properly maintain your silver jewelry, we have a number of tips for you.
- Regularly polish your jewelry with a silver polishing cloth. With regular polishing of your silver jewelry you can prevent dullness and tarnishing;
- Do not put on your jewelry until you have applied perfume, make-up and other cosmetics to your skin;
- Prefer not to wear jewelry when you go to sleep;
- Make sure you do not wear jewelry while exercising, swimming or showering;
- Take off your jewelry when doing heavy work or cleaning;
- Make sure that your silver jewelry does not come into contact with chemicals;
- Store your jewelry in an air-tight and light-tight protective jewelry box when you’re not wearing it.
Pay attention! You follow the above tips at your own risk. There are many ways to clean your silver jewelry. Be careful with your silver jewelry and do not clean your jewelry too often with these products, it can happen that by cleaning your silver jewelry too often, the layer of silver becomes thinner.