How to get rid of the smell and dirt on the mattress is a common problem in every home. Especially for those who have small children and pets, I think this will be an important point. Tomorrow often leads to a big problem of spilling tea or wine. Stains on the mattress seem to be removed only by dry cleaning, but this is not the case.
- Mattress types and cleaning features
- How do I clean my mattress?
- How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of the mattress?
Table of Contents
Mattress types and cleaning features
In order not to get even more damage in the process of cleaning the mattress, you need to find out what this filler is made of and how to clean it before cleaning. There are different types of mattresses.
- Orthopedics is sensitive to moisture, so it is better to use a special tool for cleaning. The mattress of this model consists of several layers consisting of springs (some without springs) and layers of urethane. Be sure to turn the mattress over every two to three months.
- Cotton-Allows contact with moisture, but the fineness of the mattress in its long drying time. This model is cheap. The inner part is covered with cotton, and the top is covered with thick chitin or polyester. In order for the mattress to last as long as possible, it must be regularly turned over, ventilated, and vacuumed.
- Coconut is sensitive to moisture, so it is recommended to use a vacuum cleaner. This mattress model is hypoallergenic for newborns.
There are differences in the care of each type of mattress.
- Ventilate the mattress once a month. Remove the sheets and mattress pad and place them in the most spacious room.
- Do not use a mattress without a mattress pad. This fabric accessory will save you from many problems such as moisture, dirt, and dust.
- Try to remove dust from the mattress as often as possible, preferably at least once every two weeks.
- Turn the mattress over. You need to change your head and legs, as well as up and down.
- It is very important that dried spots are not removed with a large number of funds and do not get wet deeply. However, dirt should be removed immediately, rather than waiting for further absorption.
It is not so difficult to remove the smell and dirt from the mattress at home, but it is very important to follow all the information on the product label.
How do I clean my mattress?
The easiest way to clean the mattress is to use special products that can be purchased at the household chemicals store. The price is not so cheap, so many are looking for a replacement.
Once you’ve chosen a cleaner, what else do you do with it? Young mothers often encounter traces of baby urine on their mattresses. This example shows you how to remove unpleasant stains.
If you find a urine stain on the mattress, send it to a cleaner immediately! As the liquid is further absorbed, she will have to help with dry cleaning.
To remove dirt, prepare the following composition.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the container, add 1 teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Apply the finished mixture to the stain and rub.
- After 2-3 hours, remove with a damp sponge and allow the layer to dry.
If you start cleaning as early as possible, there will be no unpleasant smell or traces of your child’s urine.
How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of the mattress?
The stain isn’t the only thing left on the mattress after an accident. Also, if you do not wash on time or wash poorly, you will have a terrible unpleasant smell that is not so easy to remove. You can also use special tools, so you need to follow the instructions. However, cleaning ingredients can be prepared at home.
Using Food Salt
Food salt can be used to remove greasy food stains and stubborn lipstick marks. It is suitable for cleaning orthodontic mattresses, as it does not require any additional liquid. To remove it, apply a small amount of salt to the contaminated area and leave it on for several hours. After the specified time, the salt is removed with a vacuum cleaner, but 2-3 hours are enough to adsorb not only dirt but also odors.
Using Soda copes
Soda copes well with various types of dirt and odors. To remove it, color it with a few tablespoons of baking soda and leave it on for 24 hours. After the specified time has elapsed, remove it with a vacuum cleaner. If one treatment is not enough, reapply the baking soda. Suitable for cleaning foam rubber and orthopedic layers.
Vinegar Removes dirt and odors with a small amount of vinegar. Moisten a cotton swab and apply it to the contaminated area. If the amount of liquid is small, it will take time to remove the specific smell after cleaning. To clean the mattress, apply fluff for about 30 to 40 minutes and sprinkle this part with baking soda to help it absorb dirt and odors, so that’s enough. The applied substance can be removed with a vacuum cleaner. Vinegar removes the persistent smell of cat urine and vomit.
Using Baby washing powder
Baby washing powder is dry and does not require the use of moisture, which makes it suitable for self-cleaning any mattress. Apply baby powder to the contaminated area and rub it with a stiff brush. Vacuum the powder a few hours after application. This cleaning method is suitable for children’s mattresses, as it does not have strong or pungent odors.
Iodine easily removes discolored leaf marks and the smell of urine. Thin fabrics should not be washed with such products, as they leave traces. To prepare the solution, you need 1 liter of water and 20 drops of iodine. The composition is applied with a small, well-wrung sponge. Then wipe with the same sponge soaked in clean water. This method is not suitable for mattresses that do not like moisture.
Using Laundry soap
Laundry soap copes well with unpleasant odors. To remove the smell of urine from coconut mattresses, you can use laundry soap, but you need to do everything very carefully. Lightly moisten the contaminated area with water, wipe it with washing powder and leave it on for a few hours. Then use a sponge to apply a little vinegar so that the top layer is slightly wet, wait another 20 minutes and remove the applied material with a clean, moistened sponge.
Using Ammonia copes
Ammonia copes well with complex odors. Apply ammonia to the dirty area, wait for about 20 minutes and sprinkle with baking soda to absorb all the smell and dirt. Remove the cleaning agent with a clean, damp sponge. Suitable for felt mattresses. After cleaning, please dry it thoroughly.
Chlorine-based products can handle all odors but require a special approach. Chlorine-based products can not be used for colored or painted products, they can only be washed on a white layer. A very small amount should be applied to prevent deep penetration of the filler. Be careful with ventilation, as it smells strongly of chlorine. Not suitable for cleaning orthopedic mattresses and baby mattresses.