Building a Greenhouse doesn’t always have to be hard, sure one can build an extravagant one but many of us just don’t have the money. To those that live with a lot of land a real greenhouse would be great, those living in an apartment can have them too just not as big. People that don’t have the money are still trying to find ways to do it, here are some examples of how to build your own simple greenhouse without breaking your budget.
A Child’s Pop Mini Greenhouse
- What You Need:
- 2 liter bottle (from soda)
- clear plastic wrap
- large rubberband
- Cut the bottle in half, making sure that the edges aren’t sharp. This will be used as the base for your house.
- Pour dirt inside the bottom of the two-liter and plant seeds. Sprinkle it with water.
- Cut a strip of clear plastic wrap and cover the top sides of the bottle. This will create a greenhouse effect.
- Place the rubber band over the clear plastic wrap to make it secure over the garden.
- Poke tiny holes in the plastic wrap so air can get through.
- Keep in the sunlight and watch it grow.
If one wants to take a step up from the typical child’s miniature greenhouse you can build one for a small porch with just a few items.
Tip: Make sure you know how big the plant will become before planting. One does not want to put a pumpkin if it is going to be in a tiny space. However, herbs such as rosemary, lemon balm, and dill are great starter plants.
- You Will Need:
- a box (one from a move or a package that recently came)
- plastic wrap (or grocery bags)
- duct tape
- Open the box up and line the bottom with plastic or paper, remember the bottom will leak if you aren’t careful.
- Pour dirt in over the plastic, making sure there is enough dirt to plant the seeds. It doesn’t have to be completely full.
- Follow the directions on the seed packet when it comes to planting the seeds. Water them.
- Place the clear plastic wrap over the top of the box and tape it to the sides.
- Poke holes in the top so that air can get it.
Tip: A great outside greenhouse that sits in the sun may be best with vegetables such as radishes, strawberries, melons, pumpkins, or even tomatoes.
Outside Greenhouses are available at most stores, if one goes to Lowes you can purchase the more expensive kits to do them at home. If you have never built something out of wood you may consider hiring someone to do it. This can be a great family project for the summer though so if you have older kids you may just have yourself a project to work on. Most kits come with step by step instructions on how to build your own greenhouse.