How to get rid of skunks is as important as the steps on how to get rid of skunk smell since when you can get rid of the animal, you don’t need to go through many steps on removing the odor. Actually, having a skunk in your surrounding is not so dangerous (of course aside from the odor they emit when frightened, mating or injured and other damage they do to your property).
When you see some hole and burrowing in the yard or part of your house, then it might be an indication of their presence in your house. Damaged gardens and lawns can also be string signs of skunk. It is important to note that skunks tend to congregate in a single area with their family. So, when you see one skunk, it is possible to find another. Even though they are not so dangerous, their presence is not favorable and that’s why tips on how to get rid of skunks are very useful.
Your Top 10 Ways to Go
Skunks are mostly known for excreting a rather strong and foul-smelling odor. Getting rid of the smell is not that difficult, but the real problem is that, when penetrating the residential areas for water, food, and shelter, these animals may trigger a number of other problems that the owners have to deal with (including home pets’ rabies, damage of lawns and gardens, burrowing under the buildings, etc.) Knowing how to get rid of skunks you become able to protect your family, home pets, and house from these nocturnal scavengers. And this is what we suggest for your protection.
For Home Defense
- Lightening. Do you know that mammals ALWAYS feed during the night? If you are flooding your yard with bright light, it deters them. Of course, this method is not 100% reliable and it adds to your energy bills, BUT it is perfect as one of the optional ways out.
- Defend garbage cans. These animals like garbage cans and always look for some food there. To defend a can you can place it in a garbage can rack or simply latch it to something in order to prevent it from being knocked down.
- Cover the decks. These animals prefer hiding under the building, so covering decks and sealing the area prevents skunks from attempting to make their nests there.
- Get rid of rodents. This is one of the most effective ways how to get rid of skunks. Rodents attract them. In fact, they are much more pleasing to skunks than trash or fruit-bearing plants. Do you have berries in your yard? You should better pick them up before rodents get attracted to them.
Chemical & Natural Solutions
- Ammonia. Cotton balls, rags, and sheets sunk in ammonia and then placed around the garden/yard are additional ways to get rid of skunks, as they can’t stand the smell.
- Commercial repellents. They are effective as well. Besides, today there are many available types. Some people have also reported success with cat and dog repellents. However, the problem is that finding a reliable commercial repellent may be a quite hard task.
- Pepper sprays. Try to spray your yard with a pepper solution from a well-known brand. Being tried in some households, led to positive results, BUT the duration of the effectiveness still remains arguable.
- Granular or liquid skunk repellent is a safe solution that is usually made of natural ingredients that work repelling this mammal without harming them. Spray or sprinkle the solution around, and its taste or smell will drive them away.
Live Trapping & Motion Detector Sprinkles
These are additional ways how to get rid of these animals. They are pretty popular worldwide. Of course, trapping doesn’t provide a permanent answer, but it is still a quite effective temporary solution. The most effective trap is a cage measuring 10x10x32 inches. It has one operating odor and a supply of cat food as bait. Each trap must be covered with a cloth, burlap, or plastic garbage bag with 4 inches left open near the door’s top.
Make sure you check the traps every 24 hours, as every animal inside should be dispatched within this time frame.
What about motion detector sprinkles? These are additional ways to repel skunks. They can be bought at any local home improvement store. Such motion detectors automatically spray the animal wandering around the yard. It is not 100% effective, as skunks can run past the sprinkle and reach the house. However, not every skunk is going to succeed in that.
It is only up to you to decide how to get rid of them. The choice of the method should primarily depend on your needs and the damage made. We suggest using natural repellents and turning to chemical options only in cases of real infestation.
How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell?
6 Home Recipes to Start With
Skunks secret a very unpleasant odor, when they are frightened or agitated and how to get rid of skunk smell becomes a real problem, the solution to which is practically impossible to find. However, we know a few simple recipes to follow. Would you like to know them?
Recipe 1. At times there is a need to use something much stronger than soapy water in order to eliminate skunk oils. This is when a solution of peroxide or vinegar will not only dissolve but also remove those oils that cause odor, instead of simply spreading them around. To make the solution mix 1-quart white vinegar/ 3% hydrogen peroxide with 1 tsp. dish detergent and ¼ cup baking soda.
Recipe 2. Tomato juice is another alternative to use for this mammal smell elimination. However, unlike in the case with white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, tomato juice doesn’t remove the odor completely, it simply masks it.
Recipe 3. How to get rid of these predators’ smells? – Shampoo upholstery and carpets. When the furniture and carpets have been pervaded by skunk smell, they should be treated immediately. For this purpose, you can use an anti-bacterial shampoo in order to steam clean the carpets thoroughly. The benefit of steam cleaners is the fact they can be used on all types of curtains and cloth furniture.
Recipe 4. As skunks like spraying different items, the best way to reduce the smell is to deodorize them. Scrub the sprayed surface with a solution made of 1 part of bleach and 9 parts of water. After scrubbing, rinse the area thoroughly, as bleach may damage the surface. Never use bleach on paint.
Recipe 5. Use peroxide and baking soda to remove an unpleasant odor. Some predator’s smells are very intense to be removed with natural methods. In case tomatoes and vinegar do not work, use baking soda and diluted peroxide. We suggest mixing one part peroxide, one part baking soda, and one part water. The chemicals are effective and can be safely used on any surface. After the treatment, wash the surface with soap or shampoo, as you usually do, to eliminate the smell of peroxide.
Recipe 6. If neither of the above-mentioned solutions appeared to be effective, we suggest using one of the commercial sprays available on today’s market. They are specifically designed in order to neutralize the scent in different fabrics.
Now you know that how to get rid of skunk smell is not a problem without solutions. Use our tips and soon you will benefit from results.